CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
Ronald A Behnke

Profile:
Re: Toughest Competitor Alive

Madeleine,

I competed in the TCA two years ago at the western states police and fire games in Mesa, AZ. I had done these type of competitions before and did some training in all the events before I went. The one thing that I wasn't ready for was the level of competition I encountered.
I'm assuming you are going to do this TCA at the world games in Vancouver, BC this year. I will also be competing at the world games and if there is one thing I learned from Mesa it's that you can't leave any stone unturned as far as your training goes. I agree with the first two posters to an extent as far as what to work on the most in your training. For example; I'm know I'm not going to be the best bench presser in the competition. I just spent three months working on my bench and I have improved by a grand total of 40 pounds. I will keep working on it but I know my strength is in the endurance stuff so I am going to concentrate on that the most. Also, some of those events are scored so that there isn't a huge margin in points between you and the next person except for one, pullups. In my opinion pullups is the most important event in the competition because you get 25 points for each one with no limit on how much you could score. If you could do 40 pullups you could score 1,000 points in that one event! Also you should know that they are very strict on bench, pullups and the rope climb so really work on those events. If you don't have access to a rope I suggest that you get one and practice because it's harder than it looks. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about the events and I hope to see you in Vancouver!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Paul Dombrowski

Profile:

I am nt to the Western States Police and Fire games and doing the TCA. I have been searching to find some of the results for the individual events, but all I keep getting is the total points score for the top three finishers. I was hoping someone who has done it before could tell me some numbers for the mens open competition. Maybe just average middle of the pack numbers so I have a gauge of where I am currently at. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
Scott Spencer

Profile:

can you give us a link to the main website? i would like to see if it has anything in the US and if non LEO can do it.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Sue Jones

Profile:

Hi Madeleine. I realize this post is old and the games have come and gone, but I was wondering how it went! I will be competing in this in New York in 2011!! I have been doing crossfit for a while, but will be working with a trainer, who may also be doing the same event in 2011!!

Scott, the games are open to Police and Fire, I believe fulltime only (as it states it must be your primary job/career) but I could be wrong. They are every two years and have been in Quebec City, Australia, Vancouver, as well as other places and next time (2011, they run every two years) they will be in New York City... and thanks to google, it looks like they will be in Belfast for 2013!
http://2011wpfg.org/

I was looking for the section on eligibility, but had to go back to the 2009 page to find it.
http://www.2009wpfg.ca/content/about/eligibility.shtml
Old 09-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Hi Sue- you probably didn't realize, but you need to indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS) whenever you post any.
Thanks, and
Old 09-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
Dave Coughlin

Profile:

I just saw this thread, and wanted to tell folks that if they ever have the chance to do a TCA (toughest competitor alive), they should jump at the chance! I was able to sneak in at the last minute and get into the TCA for the FLA Law Games (wfs www.lawgames.org) before registration closed. It was a blast! I was surprised at how well I did, compared to all the top competitors.

The general consensus around the top guys at this event were that they had pretty unfocused, general workouts nine months out of the year; however, they started tweaking their training to include the specific events of the TCA. I just did my own CF-a couple days CFSB, a couple days main page, a couple days at the local affiliate, a day or two with tabata treadmill runs. I ended up faring in the top third of all competitors, but I didn't get a podium spot for my age group

Sticking with CF main page stuff will get you pretty well prepared for the TCA, especially since pullups are such a big part of CF programming. The rope climb (no legs allowed-sucks for a 225# guy like me), deadhang pullups on a portable PU bar, swim, as well as the 8' wall you have to pull yourself over as part of the obstacle course, will all benefit from a CFers pullup experiences.

I'm totally doing it again next year, too
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
Jared Ashley

Profile:

figure out which ones you totally suck at, and work your *** off on the worst 2 or 3. You'll have way more potential upside on the stuff you suck at today then the stuff you're already competitive in.

A little formal training in the technique-heavy events (shotput, swim, and to a lesser extent the sprint) will probably go a long way. Obviously if you can check out the obstacle course before competition, that'll help, but you probably can't... you may be able to learn what it's like and practice specific items on it though.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #18
Sue Jones

Profile:

Oops sorry Camille, yes they are both work and family friendly, they are links directly to the World Police and Fire Games.

Nice job Dave!! I have the 16 pages of rules for the event, which includes the events of obstacle course and as luck would have it, there is a military rifle range near(ish) me that also has an obstacle course that is available for firefighters to use (and I'm assuming police), we just have to sign in. It has the 8 foot fence, the 6 and 5 foot walls as well as the tires and ground rope ladder... very cool!! My biggest concerns are the rope climb and the pullups, I always joke about my strength to weight ratio being more weight and less strength! hah! But I have time to work on it... 706 days to be exact!