CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Madeleine Lamphier

Profile:
Toughest Competitor Alive

Hi -
I'm not sure where I should be posting this question, but hopefully someone can help me! Anyone have advice on training for this beast?? All the events take place in one day (in 7 months from now) , and runs like this:
1. 5K Cross Country Run
2. Shot Put
3. 100 Meter Dash
4. 100 Meter Swim
5. 20-Foot Rope Climb
6. Bench Press (1RM)
7. Pull Ups (strict, to faiure)
8. Obstacle Course
Any help appreciated!!
Old 12-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Paul Richardson

Profile:
Re: Toughest Competitor Alive

If you know those are the exact events and in that exact order then...I would...train at those events in those exact order..I'm not being a smart arse but you have the wonderful knowledge of exactly what you need to train for and in what order.

You don't mention your current level of fitness, can you complete a 5km in a decent time now?, how many strict pullups can you do? What are your weaknesses, as obviously this will affect your training plan.

I would also try and find out previously results of the competition to find out what the minimum requirements you need to at least be compeitive are.

And find out the rest periods between each event.

I would probably hit xfit twice a week just for the generally fitness aspect but then concentrate on the specific areas of compeition.

It might also be worth thinking tactically, I assume there is some kind of formula for how each event affects your final score? So it might be worth looking at how each event affects your score and adjust your training for that, for instance I am a sucky swimmer so for me I would probably just do as much swim training is required to make me not drown and then just accept I'll get a poor time on that portion, and coentrate on other events that might have more influenece on the score , for example I recently did a sprint triathlon, I was last out of the swim but came in in the middle of the pack overall, lots of people spent a long time in the pool, but that's not where triathlons are won.

Hope I helped somehow....

Paul

[EDIT] Just noticed you're in Vancouver, there's loads of Crossfits around here if you want to hit a affiliate.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Are you near a local college or University? Perhaps you can train with the decathlon team
Old 12-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I would say do exactly the opposite of what Paul suggests... work the most on what you suck at, instead of what you're good at. what you're good at you're only going to be able to improve slightly, but what you suck at you could improve dramatically!

For example, maybe you've got a decent 5K time, but you have no idea how to shot-put. A few basic shot-put lessons might double your distance, but it'd take a lot of dedicated running to take a minute off your 5K.

I expect most people would have the greatest room for improvement in the more technique-based challenges: shot-put, rope climb, swim, and (assuming it's set up before-hand or you know anything about it) the obstacle course.

Other note: 5 of these have a heavy strength bias (bench, pullups, rope climb, shot-put, 100-meter dash) but only one is endurance (5K) and two are short metcons (100m swim, obstacle course). Therefore I'd say focus on strength, explosive power and short, heavy metcons, a la gant grimes CF-hybrid. it'd make little difference on the 5K, but help a lot with everything else.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Paul Richardson

Profile:

In reference to Jared Ashley:

You're right, I didn't mention some pretty important things in my example of the swimming (oops ahem), mainly that I *know* I won't get any better at swimming without some serious swim training. All my decent swimmer friends say I should be swimming at least 3 times a week to make any improvement in my swimming and given the time that that training would take up it's a very poor 'return on investment' for me.

The general idea that I was trying to get across is one that you managed far better About aiming for things you can improve upon.

Paul
Old 12-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

That's a pretty cool competition. I like the events.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeleine Lamphier View Post
1. 5K Cross Country Run
2. Shot Put
3. 100 Meter Dash
4. 100 Meter Swim
5. 20-Foot Rope Climb
6. Bench Press (1RM)
7. Pull Ups (strict, to faiure)
8. Obstacle Course
Any help appreciated!!
How many rounds do you have to do?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Eric Simpson

Profile:

This is for the World Police/Fire games correct? I want to get probabtion and give this or one of the other events a shot in 2010. Kudos to you for even giving it a shot. Definately isnt for the faint of heart!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
That's a pretty cool competition. I like the events.
Same here.

In my opinion, I see the CF WODs being the best training for everything except the 100m swim, especially if you are untrained and you have 7 months to prepare. Maybe a little bit of extra technique after the WODs on rope climbing, shot put, and an additional press/bench press session. Then when you're within 3-4 weeks of competition, just start focusing on the individual events.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
Madeleine Lamphier

Profile:
Smile Re: Toughest Competitor Alive

Awesome - thanks for the input everyone! For the next while, I figure I'll stick to the WOD's and work specific weaknesses 2x a week.