CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #21
Sarah Lewis

Profile:
Re: Do people actually get denied for Affiliation?

Tobias,

I agree that people will tend to label and generalize about ALL CF affiliates and not just the one they had a bad experience at. We are a new affiliate and still a little 'green' in terms of running an affiliate but I have already experienced a few people come in to 'check it out' because they heard it was this cool new thing, when all they really wanted to do was find out how to run a CF affiliate or take CF's ideas and not give credit, but it was for all the wrong reasons like greed, try-to-make-a-quick-buck,etc.

I always try to ask myself if my coaching and business is what I would want to see represent CrossFit. I would hate to think that there are people out there running affiliates because its the new 'buzzword' in fitness or its trendy. At some point, there will have to be some kind of regulating of affiliates or else we will end up with so many different dilutions of CrossFit it won't resemble what it started out as. I am all for people bringing new ideas to CrossFit, but I am worried that eventually we will see CrossFit start to become just a catchy name, rather than a way of life.

it will be interesting to see how affiliation changes in the future,

SL
Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #22
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias W. Neal View Post
Hey Lisbeth,

I think this is asked in good faith and does shine a light if there are standards for affiliation other than insurance, etc...I spoke to folks at HQ and mentioned that a guy down the road from us was sneaky in trying to learn CrossFit so in his words he could add something to his current business so he can make more money...overall he is tool and cares nothing for the movement. I was told if he turned in his app and had a decent essay then there is really nothing that they can do. Now, if you are asking me how we could make the selection process better at the moment I would have admit I am at a loss. Background checks, credit checks, a better application that looks at the person and desire to represent Crossfit...that said...I also the massive man-power this would take to review every app so no idea...Look forward to your input.

Coach T
www.crossfitaspire.com
"I can, I must, I will find a way"
There should never be a credit check where one is not being extended the offer of a line of credit. It should be illegal and even may be in some states.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #23
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Powell View Post
Tobias, CONGRATULATIONS!!! When did Crossfit give you the title Coach? That is a heck of an achievement.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #24
Graham Carless

Profile:

Hi,
What about the old marketing phrase, there is no such thing as bad press!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:34 AM   #25
Joey Powell

Profile:

CrossFit Coach's Certificate:
CrossFit's top honor is awarded to individuals whose efforts have significantly expanded the CrossFit community, advanced the CrossFit methodology, and developed standout athletes.

Though not listed on the website, I did not hear it was resended.

Afer reading this: "Tobias Neal-CrossFit Certified Coach" on your website, I though I missed something. Now I get it. Chain of command, rank, all that.

You military guys sure are liberal in how you throw around titles and rank. When I used to watch JAG, they always seemed real strict about that sort of thing.

Well, none of my business. It is not like anyone should take offense that people call themselves a CrossFit Trainer or Affiliate when they are actually not. Right??

Have a blessed day, as well, Sir.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #26
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
CrossFit's top honor is awarded to individuals whose efforts have significantly expanded the CrossFit community, advanced the CrossFit methodology, and developed standout athletes.

Afer reading this: "Tobias Neal-CrossFit Certified Coach" on your website, I though I missed something. Now I get it. Chain of command, rank, all that.

You military guys sure are liberal in how you throw around titles and rank. When I used to watch JAG, they always seemed real strict about that sort of thing.

Well, none of my business. It is not like anyone should take offense that people call themselves a CrossFit Trainer or Affiliate when they are actually not. Right??

I actually gave this much thought when making my website and business cards. After reading about the CF Coach's certificate and analyzing my own background, it did not seem right that I call myself a Coach. I take that title very seriously and do not feel that I have earned it...yet. Just because you can tell someone how to squat or deadlift correctly does not make you a coach.

I also do no take offense to my people calling me by my first name. No matter what my people call me, they all understand it's my show and my facility and that's all that really matters.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:45 AM   #27
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

I wasn't talking about your posts...I notice that you run the affiliate blog and was just curious about your inputs...I am last to argue on these boards primarily as you say it is waste of time to argue and degrades the boards which have gradually gone down. Other than that I think most are inquiring if their are standards and as an affiliate talking to other affiliates this keeps coming up more and more often so a problem has presented itself and now it is about creative solutions to keep the organization strong.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #28
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

Quote:

I was in the military for a little over a decade and earned my rank as both an instructor and as a leader of men. I appreciate the respect. Tears in my knees and the fact that I moved 14 times in 10 years brought a halt so that my family and daughter could have some stability. Other than that I would still be in and I miss the fight somedays...but life is what life is. Not sure if you ever served or not or have ever had a good coach, i.e. football, etc or any other sport but a coach inspires a team to perform to greater heights as well as being technically proficient in the sports that they perform. This is my definition and the spirit that I got talking to Coach Glassman. In this case I have loyal folks to us and CrossFit, I watched them grow and pick each other up, I have watched them band together outside the gym to defend CrossFit, and I am watched them grow as people...I don't just teach the movements, I try to teach them to be greater than they ever thought possible in every aspect of life...I hope that makes me a good Coach...however you define Coach that is for you decide...

Coach didn't take offense to my title nor was I trying to represent myself as a Level 3 or whatever...I personally do not have the time or the thousands upon thousands of dollars to be able to go to every cert, be in magazines, or be on the message boards all the time. I am busy trying to build the CrossFit name and my business since this is a full-time gig and my family is looking to me for support. So, through actual training, going to college, reading, studying, trying to raise a daughter, and make a business grow I have tried to earn my stripes so to speak.

Have a great day and I wish you continued success.

Randy, for the above comment I have no problem with folks knowing and using my first name, my experience is the military and the firing range...if you hear Sarge all is good, if I heard my first name it means someone was hurt or you need my attention now...when we run classes...sometimes they get large and folks are spread out with running and lifts and my concern is my folks safety...this way works for us...not better than or worse than anyone else it just works and it is the life experience that I am used to and understand...other than that good to see you are up and running your affiliate. I followed you through your progress from the idea on the boards to the creation of the box...I wish you continued success...

Have a good day and I wish the best to both of you and yours truly...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #29
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
There should never be a credit check where one is not being extended the offer of a line of credit. It should be illegal and even may be in some states.
I make this suggestion in the thought that if someone doesn't have any financial sense...they get an affiliate and then bankrupt it, it makes the organization look bad...again this is from my military background...we try to keep troops from writing bad checks, and other things so that it does not reflect badly upon themselves or the military. This may not work for a civilian organization and was mainly my 2 cents in trying to put ideas out there.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #30
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Quote:
Actually a credit check is a normal part of a job application for many lines of work. It is an indicator of work ethic, integrity (not necessarily a good one, but an indicator that is a piece of the puzzle).