CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
Anthony DiSarro

Profile:
Re: Do people actually get denied for Affiliation?

maybe not intentionally but once it starts they are poisoning the well
Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #12
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
As long as the fees for affiliations and certs are paid, I don't see anyone being denied. Besides the greed aspect, it would be pretty close to impossible to monitor the affiliates.
Tim, we've been polite and respectful of each other's differing viewpoints in other threads, so I have no reason to stop that interaction now. But I do have to strongly object to your use of the term "greed" in relation to CrossFit. It is so NOT what we are about. If you had even an inkling of the behind-the-scenes generosity that I see displayed by Greg Glassman and this organization/movement every single day, you would never use the words "greed" and "CrossFit" in the same sentence.

(And, as for my affiliate, if you used the term "greed" in relation to my name around any of my members, you better have your running shoes on, because they're coming after you. But that's just my affiliate. I can't speak for all 732.)
Old 09-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:
Talking Re: Do people actually get denied for Affiliation?

Hey Lisbeth,

I think this is asked in good faith and does shine a light if there are standards for affiliation other than insurance, etc...I spoke to folks at HQ and mentioned that a guy down the road from us was sneaky in trying to learn CrossFit so in his words he could add something to his current business so he can make more money...overall he is tool and cares nothing for the movement. I was told if he turned in his app and had a decent essay then there is really nothing that they can do. Now, if you are asking me how we could make the selection process better at the moment I would have admit I am at a loss. Background checks, credit checks, a better application that looks at the person and desire to represent Crossfit...that said...I also the massive man-power this would take to review every app so no idea...Look forward to your input.

Coach T
www.crossfitaspire.com
"I can, I must, I will find a way"
Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
Joey Powell

Profile:

Tobias, CONGRATULATIONS!!! When did Crossfit give you the title Coach? That is a heck of an achievement.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #15
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

I hope that you are being nice and truly inquiring and not trying to be sarcastic. My clients call me Coach, I am not a personal trainer and for the mentality of the gym my clients bestowed the honor...I work with many military folks and it establishes a chain of command...if I hear them call me by my first name then I know something is wrong...the term Coach is used in respect. My job is to Coach my clients into being the best they can be both as CrossFitters, as a team, and as people. But the ultimate term still lies with Coach Glassman and hopefully this will not turn into a frivolous argument over semantics.

Other than that truly have a great day....
Old 09-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
Jay Adams

Profile:

Threads with this theme seem to be big hits these days. Bottom line is this---it is not a franchise and the notion that a "bad" affiliate will spoil the well is laughable. If someone is at your place, it is for the service you provide. If someone is not at your place, it is because the service you provide. Bad movement leads to bad results and that leads to lose of income for those coaching that way. If you train well, why bother looking at what anyone else is doing? In a free market people will always chose what suits them, and they will stay. So much focus on what this guy and that guy and the other guy are doing. Spend that energy developing you business and building a client base. I have been to great affiliates and to ones that I would never go back to. At a big city affiliate with a level 2 trainer I had a really bad experience. This guy was aces on paper, and apparently at certification as well but I found the coaching sadly lacking. Flip side I gave been to garages with level 1 trainers who were providing world class coaching. Provide a good service, and offer your clients what they need. If your marketing strategy is to point at someone else and say" train with me because they suck" never gonna work out. The market will always decide.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #17
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

CCT Joey...not really sure who you were at first...I reviewed your website and see that you are quite "in" with Coach. Please say hi for me....because of his belief in me and the encouragement he gave me at a lunch we shared I own this affiliate. I do see that we offer CrossFit in different manners...my market and my folks would be scared by your gym... your gym still seems to be a great gym just not for the folks around here. I also see on the website that the bestowing of Coach has been taken off. When I spoke to Coach at the lunch I mention above he shared some truly great wisdom with me and I am proud that my clients call me Coach it means I am coming close to those things that he told me I have to embody at my gym. If the term offends you I apologize but will not change it because it means more to me than someones offense.

Have a truly blessed day...
Old 09-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
Anthony DiSarro

Profile:

I disagree that it's laughable Jay. Bad coaching when attached to a brand name taints the name in addition to the individual providing the coaching. Once stamped as "bad" or "ineffective" or whatever and it snowballs the results can certainly be widespread.

So when people don't come in because they've heard this or that, then call it what you will. You never had the chance to provide great service.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #19
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

I agree Anthony...if the tool down the street or even in the same town trains and hurts someone in the CrossFit name more often that not people being what they are will label all CrossFit wrong. I will never see them in the door because they will have created an experience of what CrossFit is and not even come in the door to see something different. Now, here is my challlenge and I would love to hear the inputs how we can try to implement something to keep this from happening on a large scale...732 affiliates and counting?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #20
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias W. Neal View Post
Hey Lisbeth,

I think this is asked in good faith and does shine a light if there are standards for affiliation other than insurance, etc...I spoke to folks at HQ and mentioned that a guy down the road from us was sneaky in trying to learn CrossFit so in his words he could add something to his current business so he can make more money...overall he is tool and cares nothing for the movement. I was told if he turned in his app and had a decent essay then there is really nothing that they can do. Now, if you are asking me how we could make the selection process better at the moment I would have admit I am at a loss. Background checks, credit checks, a better application that looks at the person and desire to represent Crossfit...that said...I also the massive man-power this would take to review every app so no idea...Look forward to your input.

Coach T
www.crossfitaspire.com
"I can, I must, I will find a way"
Tobias,

I have no argument with your discussion here. Read my words carefully -- I only objected to Tim's word choice.

You can debate on here all you want. I have to get back to my job, which is helping 732 (and counting) affiliates.

Best,
Lisbeth