CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Josue Alamillo

Profile:
Lightbulb Crossfit Radio

After reading about Crossfit Radio on the journal i'm hooked. I've been waiting for a "podcast" to come out and I finally got my wish I wanted to start this thread so we could discuss interesting segments on the show i.e. Mike Boyle and his baby brother complex. It seems to me he has never looked into the site or read the faq. To advocate that crossfit encourages bad form and untrained people to do full WODs is pretty ridiculous. Any thoughts?

For those who haven't checked out Crossfit Radio I suggest you give it a shot:http://radio.crossfit.com/
Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Christian Griffith

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Radio

I hesitate to type this, but I can't help but have some issues with the negative direction that seems to be developing.

Using Mike Boyle's interview hoopla as an example, it seems we are getting a little aggressive in a negative way. For one, a lot of what Boyle said makes sense - especially with regards to QUALITY technique training and starting newbies out scaled until they have reached a level suitable for more advanced workouts.

...and yea, he was off-base a little on some things, but I'm not sure creating live, argumentative debates in necessary. Takes the genre into a sort of WWE-type trash-talking forum.

I dunno - I love the new journal. It rocks. I also enjoy listening to the CrossFit radio on the PC, ...but I can't help but shy away from the Boyle vs. CrossFit thing.

I am perfectly content, both as a trainer and an enthusiast, to let him think and train the way he believes, and leave me (us) to train the way I (we) believe.

Like him, we have real-world results and examples from which to prove our case.

That's good enough for me.

As CrossFit grows, these battles will constantly be waged against the CrossFit methodology, workouts, and everything else possible.

Why?

Because it's hard and shakes up an industry - it's going to make more and more 'established' fitness groups uncomfortable and they're all gonna want a piece of us --- to try to shake us ...to try to shake the foundation of the methodology. To discredit it somehow because it threatens their status quo and change is uncomfortable to them.

I was drawn to CrossFit because it works. I like the black box concept. Sure, I like to know and understand the science, but history has proven 'professionals' from all sides of the fence can be both right and wrong and many times in comes down to simple errors in context.

Let's just keep proving the ideas and concepts behind our methodology with example. The ever-improving athletes that we are becoming, training and developing.

We don't need to 'set anybody straight' - let 'em think what they want, while we keep open minds, open ears, and train like animals.

Isn't that "CrossFit"?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Josue Alamillo

Profile:

Great post and I do agree with you. After re-reading my post I can see how you could see it as negative although that wasn't my intention. The last thing I want is this forum to become a trash talking forum. This is one of the last good forums left.

I should have expanded on my thoughts a little more, sorry about that.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
Christian Griffith

Profile:

Quote:
The last thing I want is this forum to become a trash talking forum.
Yea, I believe you and believe that's the case for 99% of the CrossFitters. Not just on this forum, but throughout all media.

Because our methods, when reviewed in haste and on the surface, can be construed as "overkill", "too much", "too intense", etc ....by folks who are not deep in the trenches of the methodology, we will have to be extra careful with regards to how we present ourselves.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

I really enjoy the reputation and style that CrossFit carries today. Who knows what will happen in the future, but we'll be most successful with staying legit in the eyes of the public is we stay positive and avoid public p!ssing matches.

Thanks for responding.

-- Christian
Old 09-27-2008, 04:39 AM   #5
John Maloney

Profile:

Christian,

I think your instincts are right on. I finally heard the CF podcast yesterday and there was way too much smugness that I would have cared for. They pulled back a bit in the end suggesting they would try and establish clarity and understanding before disagreeing - which is what I prefer: a discussion. It a better way. You can win people over, or at least impress those you don't with your efforts. The worst thing for this communtiy is when advocates become venomous flying monkeys against any bit of criticism and go into an irrational attack mode. They just make us look bad. Better to speak with reason and let the results of the program speak for themselves - As in - "You say these movements are dangerous, but they fixed my (& many other peoples') back & chronic pain (7 yrs worth btw). Does your program do that?" Bottom line: If people think you're an a-hole, they won't care what you say.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Alex Europa

Profile:

I honestly don't think this is about a p*ssing contest. I truly believe that the intent is to set the story straight. You're absolutely right regarding the general perception that people build about CrossFit from hasty and incomplete observations. This is the stuff that we should try to dispell, through, for example, tonight's CFR podcast.

Does it matter that other communities think we're crazy? Not really, but what were your thoughts about CrossFit at first? Typically, people think that the workouts are nuts and that they could never do them. Then it progresses to maybe there's something to it, but it's not for that person (because they're into running, or body building, or whatever). Then they do a workout and think it was pretty cool, but doesn't meet their needs.. Then they finally try it for a few weeks and the efficacy is like a kick in the pants. At that point, the revelation hits, "Why didn't I start this sooner?!"

John, I know it seems logical to simply tell people that CrossFit fixed your knees, back pain, etc... but we all know that most people don't believe testimonies - especially on the internet. I can't even begin to count the number of people that I've had tell me that they can't squat below parallel or deadlift because some body part is messed up. I try to reason with them and explain that those exercises are the way to their relief, but considering the very limited knowledge of most doctors in this area, it's a tough hill to climb. People believe what is on the surface, and if people of influence are spreading fallacies about CrossFit by simply looking at the surface, then they are doing the fitness community as a whole a disservice.

As an example of this, check out Robb Wolf's blog (W/F/S). The success that he has had with some Type 1 and 2 Diabetes patients is astonishing. It should be making huge waves, but it seems to only be making ripples. In my opinion, the main reason for this is that there isn't enough word being spread to fully legitimize it to the medical community. His blog is an amazing resource and his book may be just the ticket, but without more backing from more prominent names (no offense intended Robb!) he's got a hell of task ahead. Allowing people to continue to bash what is really working inleu of medications and treatments that have little or no effect is the neglectful.

I know this is an extreme example, but in a way it's how I feel about CrossFit. Is it the answer to everyone's medical or training woes? No, but it's our responsibility to squash myths that are unfounded and untrue. THEN people can make their own EDUCATED decisions, instead of saying, "______ person (or publication) says CrossFit is bad because ____, therefore it must be!"

On the other hand, the podcast might become a ****ing contest and then this whole post will be a moot point.

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa : 09-28-2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: To appease the WFS gods...:)
Old 09-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Danielle Benford

Profile:

Alex,
I challenge you to reply to a post in three sentences or less

<3 dano
Old 09-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Benford View Post
Alex,
I challenge you to reply to a post in three sentences or less

<3 dano
That's not a fair challenge. Only because it can't happen. Oh wait, I just won!

- Alex
Old 09-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Is your signoff: " - Alex" a sentence?

Last edited by David Wood : 09-28-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 09-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
Is your signoff: " - Alex" a sentence?
No...as you stated, it's a signoff, which is not directly related to the answer, therefore cannot be included into the total sentance count - ipso facto - I win!

Sincerely,
Alex

Last edited by David Wood : 09-28-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: corrected typo in both my material (quoted by Alex) and his