CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #21
Sarah Scholl

Profile:
Re: The Gray Cook/Mike Boyle interview back on the community board please

with ALL levels
Old 09-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #22
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
What makes you think that I think that you think that I think that you think it's a problem?

(Please don't make me go to the next level, I won't be able to parse that one . . . )
I quit, you win.

I think the mods do a great job by the way.

Its not easy keeping it civilized,
Old 09-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #23
Justin Gross

Profile:

Retracted

Last edited by Justin Gross : 09-11-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #24
Justin Gross

Profile:

Retracted
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #25
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Sarah, Crossfit has always been about elite fitness for everyone, be it OPT or a ninety year old grandma. Granted, they have different goals and are on completely different levels, but they are equally Crossfitters.

Crossfit is a conditioning program... any competitions people decide to hold are secondary, even if they're as big as the Crossfit Games (which, relatively speaking, is still pretty small... it just allows the people who are so good that there is no real competition at their affiliate or in their area to compete against each other in one big competition).

Didn't watch the interview, though. Twenty minutes of download is way too much for anything that's not a Robb Wolf nutrition lecture or Olympic lifting.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #26
Zack Murphy

Profile:

Actually, that interview is well worth listening to. They're not totally anti-CF. Yes, they're critical of some of the APPLICATION of CF, and over-application to under-prepared CF'ers and untrained lifters being thrown on the CF WODs, but there are some excellent points made.

Their chief concern is having a bunch of neophytes liking the novelty of a new program and tossing themselves to the wolves. CF is new to a lot of people, and for young people and beginners in particular, it's unlikely they'll apply CF to their workout program properly. For a lot of fitness enthusiasts, CF is like giving keys to the Porshe to a 15yo.

I see kids at my gym doing CF, and it's usually a mess. They need help. They read a WOD and know what all the words mean, and falsely conclude they're ready and prepared for the WOD itself.

Me, my perspective: I train full-time at a Globo, and I apply CF where I can, on those who are ready. For clients who aren't CF-ready, we prep the basic movements. I'm a believer in the pure movements of CF, but it's all about scaling and progression UP TO crossfit.

Cook and Boyle are leary of BAD crossfit. So am I. But I love CrossFit.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #27
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Agreed, but what is the alternative? You can give the impatient people a go-cart that they might not get hurt in, but eventually they're going to want to learn how to drive the Porsche - no, they'll need to learn how to drive the Porsche. CF is, in a way, a huge safety net for those who would have learned how to deadlift incorrectly and ruined their backs. Yes, there is always the potential that someone will simply read the site and not bother with the resources available regarding learning proper form and scaling, but that kind of person would get hurt for the same reasons somewhere else. At least the Crossfit site has all the information available for those who have the sense not to ignore it.

Or we could have everyone use safe machines that don't require any coaching to learn how to use, hiding the good stuff from everyone that isn't willing to get coaching at an affiliate... but I, of course, would have to disagree with that.

It's kind of interesting to see myself using that line of reasoning when it's used so improperly by many people in a different context.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #28
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Lightbulb Re: The Gray Cook/Mike Boyle interview back on the community board please

I agree with the form arguement. I think that crossfit is awesome. I don't think it's cool when whoever makes the front page WODs tries to ridicule a man that might have died by having kids do the same workout. That guy DOES have a family and maybe a wife and kids. What if the guy has a genetic disposition to getting rhabdo or something? I wouldn't make fun of someone in a wheelchair because they can't do a thruster. I don't really care about the t-shirts though.

I'm not trying to stir the pot so if you try and argue with me, I won't answer.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #29
Zack Murphy

Profile:

Derek - Yeah, certainly true.

Can't save everyone, certainly not from themselves. So for the eager masses, if doing 30 C & J seems fun, it's their funeral. Monkey with a shotgun? So be it. Not our problem, no liability incurred.

And the machines are FAR more dangerous than non-explosive CF exercises, IMO, so those are out.

What's left? Deads, presses, air squats, progressions to push ups, the Concept II, maybe some jumping pull ups and slightly more dynamic lifts HIGHLY managed and controlled.... that sort of thing.

Not to belabor the Porsche analogy, but I'll drive them myself until they're ready. They learn the moves with such a focus on precision and form that staying in first gear will be perfectly fine with them. And any reasonable CF instructor would echo that. In my CF cert, it was clear that scaling and progression was a major focus for many.

The Boyle/Cook (not sure which one of them said it) point about CrossFit needing to realize that it's responsible for all the great successes of its participants, but also for the worst YouTube video of sloppy Fran or jerky KB swings - that's an excellent point. I love CF, but there's a 10:1 ratio of bad CF to good CF.

And the bad CF is still CF. Sucks, but something to tackle for all of us. And that the Boyle/Cook point.

Anyway... interesting stuff.

Last edited by Zack Murphy : 09-12-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #30
Derek Heinonen

Profile:

They brought up very valid points...I thought it was a great segment.

It would certainly be interesting to see Glassman debate with 'em.

- D