CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #1001
Charles Bennington

Profile:
Re: The Mutation from Man to Machine...

HAHA...1000th post!

Damn...I was beaten!

1001 it is...sigh!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #1002
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Patrick has a point about going easy(ish) with 5-5-5-3-3-3 this time and then 3-3-3-1-1-1 next time... but I think he's WRONG!

Also - I'm definitely not out to hurt you.

When I go with 5-3-1 WODs, I am trying to set a PR on my singles, or if I am just not "feeling" it, then I am definitely pushing up close to PR weight.

I forget what your PR is, but with my own PR in mind of 355(ish), on a WOD like that I would do something like:
5 x 95
5 x 135
5 x 185
3 x 225
3 x 275
3 x 315
1 x 335
1 x 350
1 x 360

If I miss a heavy single, I make a choice: (1) should I be "done" (because I probably am), or (2) should I drop back to the last weight I hit and do it again, or (3) try that weight one more time... it is really all about your current mindset and how fried you feel at the time.

edit:
PS: Damn - just looking at this makes me wish squats were not currently verboten for me!
Feh. That's not 5-5-5-3-3-3-1-1-1, that's a long, high-volume overblown warmup and 1-1-1.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #1003
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post
Tuesday, 1.13.9

1) Power Snatch, 3x1 @ 88#, 3x2 @ 115.5#

2) Power Clean & Jerk, 3x1 @ 110#, 5x1 @ 165#

3) Back Squat, 3x5, 5 @ 95#, 5 @ 115#, 5 @ 135#

4) Back Squat, 3x3, 3 @ 165#, 3 @ 185#, 3 @ 205#

5) Back Squat, 3x1, 1 @ 215#, 1 @ 235#, 1 @ 255#x(failed lowbar), 1 @ 255#x(failed highbar), 1 @ 245#

6) WOD: (this is one I came up with on 9.12.8. my time was 6:19 then)
3 Rds. of:
10 - 60# DB Snatch ( 5 right, 5 left)
10 - Clapping Push-Ups
20 - Double Unders

Time - 4:03
(botched the last rd. of DU's, otherwise this was sub-4 easy. At least I improved quite a bit since last time)

7) Chin-Up Ladder, 10-8-6-4-2 (mostly dead-hangs)
Yeah, I'm behind on things, but it's good to see the squats (nice work) and the DB snatch metcon. Those things are the bomb at the front end of a WOD - like a giant metabolic greeting card. HELLO!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #1004
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Wha'chu'talkin'bout, Willis?

That's good work! You can't just HAVE a giant back squat, you've gotta build up to it. Doing what you did yesterday is the foundation for it. Keep it up!

Dude - a 300# squat can be yours by JUNE (or sooner) if you want it. You're already at 245# for crying out loud! I bet you could add 10-15# per month to that number, just by working heavy squats into your machine-making-routine 2-3x per month.

No question about this. Work them like you worked your DLs and the 300# squat is comfortably yours.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #1005
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Walker View Post
If there is one thing I have learned through all my yrs of training, athletics, and working out, you eventually have to back off and let you body recover. There are a lot of different theories out there about recovery times and periodization. Curious to know what CF Rx's for athletic periodization, or is there even one??? anyone??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coughlin View Post
Keith-the periodization question might be something that newly Certified Chuck B might be able to help the most, as the CF micro/macrocycle programming is something I'd like to figure out a little bit more myself. There's a CFJ article about the CF training template that I've seen, but I haven't found (or really even looked) anything else
CF as a whole doesn't really specify an actual rest cycle. Here's what they say, "...you will need to balance your work/rest cycles and be sure to allow for recovery. Sometimes, you will need extra days off or to consider a WOD as "active rest" done at a lower intensity."

That's about it. If you read, listen, or watch anything about the CF superstars you'll find out that it just comes down to listening to your body. Many of them take random days or even up to a week off depending on how they feel.

I would say that if you aren't good at monitoring your own recovery, de-load somewhere at the 8-12 week range. I'm guessing that most of us could be much better at recovery. When was the last time you slept 10 hours? When was your last contrast bath? How much myofascial release do you do?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #1006
David Schneider

Profile:

Thursday, 1.15.9

1) OHS, 3x3, 3 @ 88#, 3 @ 99#, 3 @ 110#

2) OHS, 5x1, 1 @ 121#, 1 @ 132#, 1 @ 137.5# PR, 1 @ 143# PR, 1 @ 149# PR
(these felt better than ever. I had more in me too, I could feel it. I would have nailed 155#, I know it. I was already running late for school so I had to rush. Next time, I'll push till' failure)

3) WOD: 5-4-3-2-1 of:
- 1.5x BW Deadlift (275#)
- .75x BW Thruster (135#)
- Burpee Pull-Ups

Time - 6:05

(very disappointed with this time. I am terrible at thrusters... TERRIBLE. I have a decent FS and a decent Press, but put them together and my body goes remedial )

4) Tabata Double-Unders, 14 - 23 - 19 - 11 - 14 - 11 - 10 - 12

Total - 114
(I can do MUCH better than this... I had a problem with my damn shorts falling down during every 20sec. burst so I had to stop after every 3-4 reps and maintain decency. With proper attire, I could keep the 15-20 rep range)

I kept track of my eating today, in case anyone wanted a look at how and what I'm usually eating. Today was a pretty typical day. On training days, I eat a 1/3 cup of oats in the morning. Non-training days I cut that out.

So far tonite (and I'm probably done eating):

- 4 eggs
- 5 strips turkey bacon
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2 servings natural peanut butter
- 1 kiwi
- 1/2lb. ground turkey
- lettuce
- 2 servings natural peanut butter
- 1/2 packet of taco seasoning
- 1oz. mixed nuts (raw & unsalted almonds, cashews, pecans, macadamias & walnuts)
- 1/2lb. ground turkey
- 2 cans tuna fish
- 1 serving natural peanut butter

Total Calories - 2,685
Total Fat - 161.5 (35%)
Total Protein - 220 (48%)
Total Carbs - 79 (17%)

(this doesn't include Fiber count, so my carbs would be closer to 60-65)

Like I said, this is pretty typical. After I go grocery shopping I'm eating more fruit (kiwi, apples) and different fats (avocados). I'm pretty sure that my cals are anywhere from 2500 - 3500 from day to day (at the extremes).
Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #1007
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Walker View Post
If there is one thing I have learned through all my yrs of training, athletics, and working out, you eventually have to back off and let you body recover. There are a lot of different theories out there about recovery times and periodization. Curious to know what CF Rx's for athletic periodization, or is there even one??? anyone??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coughlin View Post
Keith-the periodization question might be something that newly Certified Chuck B might be able to help the most, as the CF micro/macrocycle programming is something I'd like to figure out a little bit more myself. There's a CFJ article about the CF training template that I've seen, but I haven't found (or really even looked) anything else
This is something that I've thought about a lot, and I don't have the answers or know the extent to which there are answers, but I'll share some of my thoughts.

CF programming is consistently evolving and would be difficult to pin down, other than the instincts and mesocycles that Coach G. has used over the years and seen to work. The notion is to be ready any time for anything, so the periodization isn't event oriented, where you build up over a 4 or 6-month period to maximum performance and then back off and start again. Rather, the periodization simply comes from cycling CNS-loading and muscular and metabolic fatigue, using a set of exercises so large and varied that there is almost always something that can be productively introduced to a 3-day minicycle. Periodization for something relatively specialized like oly lifting, where max power production and explosiveness in a fairly set ROM is required, needs to be more complex or you'd burn out. However, if you can do, to use a recent example, pullups for time one day, front squats for weight the next, and then a 5K, there's lots more room for varying the training stimulus, both in terms of parts of the body and metabolic pathways. I enjoy being able to be creative with how I program my workouts, but I'm also enjoying sticking reasonably close to the main page, so I can see how Coach G is doing it and get a sense for how it works for me (even as I tweak it by doing my MEBB).
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #1008
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Turkey Bacon....
Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #1009
David Schneider

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bennington View Post
Turkey Bacon....
**** you...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #1010
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Wow, that doesn't look like that much food for a guy who does as much work as you. Maybe today was slow for you, but clearly, with your performance, you've got it dialed in pretty good. (Even if you're settling for bacon with feathers.)