CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #21
Clay Jones

Profile:

Re: Price point on CF monthly membership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vassallo View Post
I'm sick and tired of this whole " is personal training " business. honestly, it isn't, for the majority of people who are on this board. Yes, some supervision isn't a bad thing, but this is not personal training in the least. If anything it's "group classes" not unlike the spin classes, cardio kickboxing, bodypump, and other things offered at most globogyms. the only difference is that this is crossfit, you do more functional movements, and it's done at much higher intensity. Trying to call this personal training and charging a premium for it is, i dunno, the only flaw.
Where I live, a 1 hour 1-1 visit with a personal trainer will run you $50--$70 minimum. Most group classes (cardio, Pilates, Yoga) run $20 for a drop in session, and you do not get nearly the individual attention you do in a CF Group workout. Seems to me the $15--$20 paid for an hour workout is right in line.

I understand the semantic point you are making, because you believe that group training does not equal personal training. And I understand that affiliates do this in order to justify expense to potential customers who may only have big-box experience. I'm OK with that. It may not be personal training for someone who has been lifting for 25 years, but it sure is for some guy off the street.

The overriding question should be: Are people getting a good bang for their buck? and not: What do we title the workout?

CF workouts are really nothing like big box group workouts.

My two cents. YMMV.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #22
Devin Spurling

Profile:

Zach,

Where in Folsom are you located? I live in Orangevale and have been CF'ing in my garage for about a year now...A buddy and mine have actually been talking about looking into opening up an affiliate out in this area! We need one!

In terms of pricing, there are a lot of places in the Sacramento area that you could contact in terms of looking into other pricing. I used to train with Dave Warner of Rocklin. He is not a CF trainer, but does a lot with plyo work, oly lifts and speed and agility training. Then there is also SST, also of Rocklin, which I have never trained with, but have heard many good things about. I am pretty sure they are actually affiliated. There is also a facility in Rancho, something having to do with speed and strength, same idea. I know that one of the trainers there is awesome! I forget his name, but he was our strength coach at Sac City when I was played baseball my freshman year.

Just thought I would throw out a few local places I have heard of that offer something similar in terms of functional training and would probably be a great starting point in terms of prices.

Shoot me a PM if you'd ever like to get together for a workout, we have a small group of usually 4-6 that work out at my house, and the only major thing we are missing is some quality bumpers, but they are on the grocery list!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #23
Jason M Struck

Profile:

i was wondering when someone would hijack a thread with 'crossfit is too expensive' or ' i don't need someone to show me how to do crossfit movements or help me improve at them'.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #24
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Jones View Post

CF workouts are really nothing like big box group workouts.
I've been to three differnet affiliates in the tampa bay area, after today that will be four, and honestly, around here, yes they are.

Do i have a problem with it? No. Am I going to pay approximately $100 a month to be part of it? Yes, as soon as i can afford it.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #25
John Planow

Profile:

Just sent you a PM. I know of several CrossFit or CrossFit-like facilities in the area (some of which Devin mentioned) and have pricing information for many of them. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #26
Jason M Struck

Profile:

I think Lincoln's comparison to Dance class was quite apt.

It is to this end that I am compiling a 'the Cost of Physical Culture' in my community (richmond, va).

Just to let you know, so far, I've covered Yoga, which I think in many ways is structured very similarly (mostly group, some 3xp/wk, some unlimited monthly etc).

What I found;
Drop in; $14.67
12 times/month; $135.8
unlimited monthly; $135

This was the average of 6-8 facilities.

Guess what? All the karate/TKD 'McDojos' I looked up? None of them advertised any of their prices or policies. Say what you may about Yoga, those pretzels are transparent. Gotta respect that.

So, in comparison, there's really only one affiliate in Richmond running classes all week; crossfitRVA. Really nice guys. Here's what they charge;

drop in; N/A (they'd probably let an out of towner work out for free. They're just that cool)
12 times per month; N/A (8/month=80)
unlimited; 100 (70 first responder, 50 student)

I'd rather compare a Yoga studio to Crossfit than Gold's to Crossfit. In my community, it's a pretty clear STEAL to be a member of the local affiliate.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #27
Jesse R james

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Spurling View Post
Zach,

Where in Folsom are you located? I live in Orangevale and have been CF'ing in my garage for about a year now...A buddy and mine have actually been talking about looking into opening up an affiliate out in this area! We need one!

In terms of pricing, there are a lot of places in the Sacramento area that you could contact in terms of looking into other pricing. I used to train with Dave Warner of Rocklin. He is not a CF trainer, but does a lot with plyo work, oly lifts and speed and agility training. Then there is also SST, also of Rocklin, which I have never trained with, but have heard many good things about. I am pretty sure they are actually affiliated. There is also a facility in Rancho, something having to do with speed and strength, same idea. I know that one of the trainers there is awesome! I forget his name, but he was our strength coach at Sac City when I was played baseball my freshman year.

Just thought I would throw out a few local places I have heard of that offer something similar in terms of functional training and would probably be a great starting point in terms of prices.

Shoot me a PM if you'd ever like to get together for a workout, we have a small group of usually 4-6 that work out at my house, and the only major thing we are missing is some quality bumpers, but they are on the grocery list!
Actually in the Sacramento area there are at least 3 CF Affiliates that I know of:

(all links WFS)
American River Crossfit
and
Crossfit Sacramento
and
Sport Specific Training (this is the one in Rocklin I think you were referring to)

Just thought I'd throw it up here in case you all needed the info.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:11 AM   #28
Mike Maddalena

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vassallo View Post
I'm sick and tired of this whole " is personal training " business. honestly, it isn't, for the majority of people who are on this board. Yes, some supervision isn't a bad thing, but this is not personal training in the least. If anything it's "group classes" not unlike the spin classes, cardio kickboxing, bodypump, and other things offered at most globogyms. the only difference is that this is crossfit, you do more functional movements, and it's done at much higher intensity. Trying to call this personal training and charging a premium for it is, i dunno, the only flaw.

Now if there's a 1-on-1 option for being singlely guided through a WOD, or learning the oly lifts, or an instructional lesson on how to do all of the movements, then i would call that PERSONAL.

The affiliate that I'm joining is $100/month for unlimited group classes, and limited 1-on-1 training for mastery of skills, as well as lots of group socials and functions together. I agree with that price and what it's called. "unlimited group classes"

if you, however, at your affiliate with personal training, have 6 people to a class WOD, and 6 instructors, each assigned to a specific person, then maybe, just maybe, i can see it as personal training.

please, correct me if i'm wrong.
At $150 on average for unlimited group training, I wouldn't exactly call that charging a premium. It's pretty darn inexpensive. If you show up for all the classes you can handle (typical 3 day on, 1 day off schedule), it's less than $7 class, less than 1/10 of what you would pay for 1:1 most places here in Atlanta. If you consider the mediocre results most folks get from a typical 1:1 globo trainer compared to a CF class, affiliates ought to be charging more. Personal attention doesn't always equal results. Hmmm....maybe we ought to charge more...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #29
Devin Spurling

Profile:

Jesse,

Thanks for clarifying the name of the Rockling facility for me. I realize that there are a few of them in the area, but being out here in Orangevale, almost Folsom, makes the drive to one of those facilites a little further then I would like to go on any regular basis. That's why it would be great to open one out here up the 50 corridor...towards the hills a little. I know compared to many other CF'ers the 30-40 min drive downtown is not that bad at all, but my garage has been working out fairly well so far. I would like to get into one of the local affiliates for some coaching on some of the O lifts, as I know that form is critical in continuing progress with these. One of these days I will have to man up and make the drive...no more excuses! Have you been in to any of the affiliates here in Sacramento? How was the experience/prices?

Zach,

Where in Folsom are you looking at opening a facility?
Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #30
Zack Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Spurling View Post
Zach,

Where in Folsom are you looking at opening a facility?
Looked at a couple spots so far, nothing settled yet. The current frontrunner is near the outlets at a major intersection. It's studs and bare, but an easy buildout.

But that location could easily change, so don't hold me to it! We're in the irritatingly slow phase of doing all the little pre-open crap.