CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Price point on CF monthly membership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Murphy View Post
1:1 focused attention is personal training. Anything less is a group session, boot camp, class, etc.

That's how I define it, and that's how most seem to define it. If there's many affiliates doing "personal training" that is more than 1:1 or a small focused group (<4 people), I'd be surprised.

"CrossFit is small group personal training" probably was not meant to suggest that a group of 6 with one instructor is "personal" in the same sense as the training most trainers (like me) are doing. One client is personal. Two clients with highly similar goals and capabilities is mostly personal. Beyond that and it's just a group training session. "Personal"... not so much.

My opinion.
I'm in a ****y mood after duking it out with an overbearing city with overbearing city ordinances that specify the exact length your #(@*%ing grass may be cut at, so excuse me if I come across wrong...

No personal trainer is watching the person they're training 1-1 for every second of their session, unless they are very very very new (and even then, their attention still gets away from them once in a while, especially when they're performing movements they know they can do well). The same service is received in a group class, I've gone from doing five 1-1 sessions to intro people to Crossfit, into doing one 1-hour session and scaling them up to the intensity over the next few weeks, and it's worked perfectly fine. We're able to watch their movements and give them everything they need, without costing them additional money for 1-1 sessions.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I've said this before but I'll say it again: Crossfit pricing is more like a ballroom dance studio than a Gold's Gym. Both Crossfit and dance teach movement. Big-box gyms teach how to use the pins on selectorized equipment, big whoop. It takes very little training to run a Big-Box Group Ex class. It takes years to learn how to be a top dance instructor (or Crossfit trainer). 1x per week dance classes are usually $40-$50 dollars/month, so 4-5x per week would be $160-$200/month. Same with Crossfit. Drop-in fees are $10-$20 for both. Expenses for both are very similar - you're mostly paying for floor space and people's time. Capital costs (special flooring and PA system vs. weights and platforms) are similar. Personal training fees are identical, i.e. higher than most big-box gyms. Most dance studios and Crossfit gyms rarely run membership promotions or "special deals" unlike big-box gyms because most of their business is referals.

A big-box gym is a large capital investment and low labor costs - their product is primarily a self-service discount business with a high customer turnover. That does not describe Crossfit at all.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 08-05-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
Kevin Wood

Profile:

I had this posted on my site a little while back. In my opinion, there's a little more personal touch with CrossFit than with them.

Them vs Us

I was driving home from work today and was wondering what it would be like if I were a member of a local gym, like NuBody’s or GlobalGym. How would I justify paying for a membership there, and not for a CrossFit gym? Are they even comparable? Here’s a short ‘them versus us’ list that I came up with. I’ll let you be the judge.

THEY have CNN or Kelly Clarkson playing in the background.
WE have other members cheering you on to finish your last rep.

THEY have cardio machines that tell you you’re going too fast.
WE have trainers that are telling you you’re not going fast enough.

THEY have mirrors.
WE have trainers that tell you how to correct your form.

THEY have biceps curls and cable crossover machines.
WE have squats and deadlifts that you’ll actually be able to transfer into real life.

THEY sell you a membership and hope you only come for one month.
WE want you to come as often as possible to help change your life.

THEY have a 20 minute workout in 2 hours.
WE have a 2 hour workout in 20 minutes.

THEY have a machine at the front desk where you swipe your card.
WE have knowledgeable trainers that are ready to give you all the fitness information that you ask for.

THEY train for looks.
WE train for life.

THEY have air-conditioning.
WE have…ok, they have us beat on that one.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Kevin, I don't think anyone here argues that CrossFit isn't generally better than those other places (the affiliate I go to even has air conditioning). Your list really just compares your gym to a globo gym, which isn't a realistic comparison. Here, the main competition for crossfit is Curves and the 1,000 different Fitness Bootcamps out there - not LA Fitness. The point is these are the places that your clients will be looking at when comparing different fitness opportunities. It's where I looked (well, not Curves for obvious reasons). The more you understand your competition, the more you will be prepared to beat them. Having a better product is only one part of it.

Also, if one of my trainers told me I better be careful what I say about their classes, they wouldn't have to worry about it because I wouldn't go back. Respect is a two way street.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Kevin Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Kevin, I don't think anyone here argues that CrossFit isn't generally better than those other places (the affiliate I go to even has air conditioning). Your list really just compares your gym to a globo gym, which isn't a realistic comparison. Here, the main competition for crossfit is Curves and the 1,000 different Fitness Bootcamps out there - not LA Fitness. The point is these are the places that your clients will be looking at when comparing different fitness opportunities. It's where I looked (well, not Curves for obvious reasons). The more you understand your competition, the more you will be prepared to beat them. Having a better product is only one part of it.

Also, if one of my trainers told me I better be careful what I say about their classes, they wouldn't have to worry about it because I wouldn't go back. Respect is a two way street.
I must apologize for my previous comment. It came out more hostile than it was meant to be.

As for competition, I'm going to disagree with you that Curves would be considered competition. I can only speak for the local ones around me, but they offer nothing that compares to Crossfit.

I'll agree with you that looking at other bootcamp prices would be beneficial, but the most expensive one around here is $25/month. I personally didn't take their prices into consideration when making my own price list.

Anyway, I hope my speadsheet helps you Zack. Take a look at the other affiliates around you, compare their services to what services you'll be providing, and decide from there. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #16
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:

It's still not personal training. Group training with additional personal assistance maybe, but whatever. I don't like the wya you come across with your holier-than-thou attitude.

Honestly, you're making crossfit seem like its scientology, lol.

whatever. i'm done with this thread, sorry to cause a ruckus.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
Zack Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Zack, have you checked out the Sacramento and Bay area affiliates?
Been to their actual sites, no. Checked out their web sites for info, but didn't go visit. There's a garage crossfit near me, but we're looking at a presence far more commercial.

That aside, a good idea to go check out the locals.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #18
Zack Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
No personal trainer is watching the person they're training 1-1 for every second of their session, unless they are very very very new (and even then, their attention still gets away from them once in a while, especially when they're performing movements they know they can do well).
I don't know. I'm training now, and my attention rarely wanders far from the task at hand. After all, I want to be there.

"Personal training" too often gets associated with BAD personal training. PT at it's best is exceptionally helpful and worth 5x the cost.

Anyway, I know you don't disagree - just sayin'.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 AM   #19
Bonny Guang

Profile:

There are too many Kevins in this thread.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #20
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Murphy View Post
I don't know. I'm training now, and my attention rarely wanders far from the task at hand. After all, I want to be there.

"Personal training" too often gets associated with BAD personal training. PT at it's best is exceptionally helpful and worth 5x the cost.

Anyway, I know you don't disagree - just sayin'.
I don't mean attention is drawn to "well I wonder if the dog is peeing on the carpet back home right now", I mean just other things happening around the facility, etc. And no trainer needs to keep their eyes on someone 100% of the time, when they're doing movements they already know well, they can check for form, handle some other situation for 10 seconds, then check back on their form, etc...