CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Zack Murphy

Profile:
Price point on CF monthly membership?

Anyone know of any actual research/analysis done on the membership costs for a CF affiliate?

I'm looking to open an affiliate in the next 90-180 days, have found location and things are getting lined up.

Have been thinking of monthly memberships that will include all classes/lectures/etc., then personal traning, which will be priced separately.

From what I have heard in talking with other affiliate owners are the CF level I cert, there's a pretty wide variety of pricing out there.

Anyone know of any suggested formula/method, other than just intelligent guessing and letting the market decide (not what I would prefer to do)?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Kevin Wood

Profile:
Re: Price point on CF monthly membership?

I created an excel sheet comparing all of the Canadian affiliate prices, with the averages at the bottom. Shoot me a PM and I'll send it off to ya.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

I've looked around at the affiliates in Atlanta from a customer prospective. Here, almost all the CrossFit branded affiliates (e.g. the CrossFit ______ gyms) have the exact same basic pricing for crossfit group workouts. This may be a function of there being so many affiliates here and the market having sorted itself out.

$20 Drop-in
$100/month 2 days a week
$150/month unlimited
$250/month for unlimited 2 people from same household

Affiliates who brand themselves distinct from CrossFit seem to be able to charge more. I don't think any of the CrossFit branded affiliates here have an initiation fee. Sonz, where I work out, charges a $500 initiation fee. It seems that affiliates who brand themselves distinct from CrossFit and have a specic focus (e.g. focus on individuals, women or athletes) are able to charge a little more than the CrossFit branded affiliates. You really need to check out the CrossFit and competing gyms in your area (Curves, Kickboxing Studios, fitness bootcamps and other small group workout gyms if there are any) to see what they are charging to see what the market will bear in your area.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Wade Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Murphy View Post
I'm looking to open an affiliate in the next 90-180 days, have found location and things are getting lined up.
Zack, check your PM. I'm in the area and am interested in your plans.
--Wade
Old 08-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Kevin Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
You really need to check out the CrossFit and competing gyms in your area (Curves, Kickboxing Studios, fitness bootcamps and other small group workout gyms if there are any) to see what they are charging to see what the market will bear in your area.
That's like comparing a Jaguar to a Smart Car. Sure, you can look at the other gyms prices, but you're not offering the same service as them. They rent space where you come to workout. CrossFit is small group personal training. Their prices cannot compare.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:

I'm sick and tired of this whole " is personal training " business. honestly, it isn't, for the majority of people who are on this board. Yes, some supervision isn't a bad thing, but this is not personal training in the least. If anything it's "group classes" not unlike the spin classes, cardio kickboxing, bodypump, and other things offered at most globogyms. the only difference is that this is crossfit, you do more functional movements, and it's done at much higher intensity. Trying to call this personal training and charging a premium for it is, i dunno, the only flaw.

Now if there's a 1-on-1 option for being singlely guided through a WOD, or learning the oly lifts, or an instructional lesson on how to do all of the movements, then i would call that PERSONAL.

The affiliate that I'm joining is $100/month for unlimited group classes, and limited 1-on-1 training for mastery of skills, as well as lots of group socials and functions together. I agree with that price and what it's called. "unlimited group classes"

if you, however, at your affiliate with personal training, have 6 people to a class WOD, and 6 instructors, each assigned to a specific person, then maybe, just maybe, i can see it as personal training.

please, correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Zack Murphy

Profile:

1:1 focused attention is personal training. Anything less is a group session, boot camp, class, etc.

That's how I define it, and that's how most seem to define it. If there's many affiliates doing "personal training" that is more than 1:1 or a small focused group (<4 people), I'd be surprised.

"CrossFit is small group personal training" probably was not meant to suggest that a group of 6 with one instructor is "personal" in the same sense as the training most trainers (like me) are doing. One client is personal. Two clients with highly similar goals and capabilities is mostly personal. Beyond that and it's just a group training session. "Personal"... not so much.

My opinion.

Last edited by Zack Murphy : 08-04-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Kevin Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vassallo View Post
If anything it's "group classes" not unlike the spin classes, cardio kickboxing, bodypump, and other things offered at most globogyms.
You better be careful what you say around here. Try saying that to the affiliate who's training you.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Zack, have you checked out the Sacramento and Bay area affiliates?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
Kevin Mueller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vassallo View Post
If anything it's "group classes" not unlike the spin classes, cardio kickboxing, bodypump, and other things offered at most globogyms. the only difference is that this is crossfit, you do more functional movements, and it's done at much higher intensity.
You better be careful what you say around here. Try saying that to the affiliate who's training you.
Easy, killer. I have said this to the affiliate who is training me. I also have no problem paying him $150 per month for unlimited group classes. There are sessions when others are getting the lion's share of attention from the trainers, and the only real interaction I have with them is when they come over to kick me in the biblical donkey. That's fine, its what I'm paying for, but don't tell me its personal training.

Don't confuse the product (crossfit, spinning, bodypump) with the business model that is being used to to deliver it (small group classes).