CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #21
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
Re: No long workouts for the Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
Useful thread:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33012

Specifically view response #19 and #20...

The games adequately tested all 3....

Those times were well over 30 seconds which leaves it to be a huge aerobic component. Even 3 minute Fran was mostly aerobic.

Thanks for linking to Steven Low's knowledge. I was actually trying to remember this but he knows way better.

Hope it's clearer now.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #22
Dylan Eddy

Profile:

Anthony, congratulations on the top 20 finish!

well done man!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #23
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
Did you compete Joe?
No. I did the Games here at my gym.

Quote:
Don't take that too personally, but NO ONE was fully recovered from one workout to the next and I can tell you that certain areas did get hammered to **** and if you heard the competitors gaming the upcoming events, you certainly got a feel for where people were hurting.
Oh, no, I don't take it personally at all that you implied I don't know what I'm talking about because I wasn't there at Aromas competing.

Re: the bolded text. In the post that you quoted I did say "mostly" not "fully." Difference. I did the workouts with about half-an-hour less recovery time between exercises (to fit my schedule), and I was refreshed enough that the Thrusters and Pull-ups did not have a terrible impact on my Deadlifts and Burpees, which did not have a terrible impact on my hill run. From the looks of it, the top athletes did alright, too, since they still turned in mind-blowing performances in each of their three workouts. If you want to keep debating this point and suggest that I'm doing it wrong, go ahead, but you're arguing over a tangential comment that has little to do with the meat of this thread, which is below. vvvv

I read over Steven's posts and admit I got the science wrong. But I still stand by my assertion that there should have been something longer than 5 minutes and closer to 20. If it were all the same, 800 meter champions would also be champions at 5000 meters. While I don't think the omission of something long was a travesty, I think the inclusion of some activity longer than 5 minutes would have painted a slightly better picture of who is the most fit.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #24
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

Either way the guys that were at the top will still be at the top. They are fit across several fitness domains.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #25
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Almost assuredly. But, maybe not. Anyway, that's for the Games to decide, not us.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #26
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I was surprised in a good way. The programming was perfect: short, basic, heavy, high intensity, and brutal. I hope it's the sign of further evolution.

Congrats to all who participated.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #27
Dave Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
I was surprised in a good way. The programming was perfect: short, basic, heavy, high intensity, and brutal. I hope it's the sign of further evolution.

Congrats to all who participated.
totally agree and pleasantly surprised that there was no 'filthy fifty on acid'.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #28
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I may be mistaken....(I hate starting a thread like that) but to me, the one thing Crossfit has proven is that competency across the 10 physical fitness domains is best gained through high intensity functional movement based constantly varied workouts...why would the CF Games then stand on its head to promote something like a 5k, or worse 10k???

Didn't Brian Mackenzie (the Ultra-marathoner stud) cut his workout volume in almost half after supplementing his training with CF workouts? Why go the other way?

Also there's a HUGE difference between Cindy and a 5k run IMHO...just because they may take the same amount of time to complete for some doesn't mean the power output is anywhere near the same.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #29
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
I may be mistaken....(I hate starting a thread like that) but to me, the one thing Crossfit has proven is that competency across the 10 physical fitness domains is best gained through high intensity functional movement based constantly varied workouts...why would the CF Games then stand on its head to promote something like a 5k, or worse 10k???
Not sure how to respond to this. The 5K is a staple of CrossFit, and Coach prescribes it and the 10K for a reason. Plus, the Games did a 5K last year.

Quote:
Also there's a HUGE difference between Cindy and a 5k run IMHO...just because they may take the same amount of time to complete for some doesn't mean the power output is anywhere near the same.
You're right. If anything, the power output of the 5K is greater. It's 20 minutes of constant work applied entirely through the legs and hips (the strongest muscles) while they are in their most advantageous (in terms of force application) position.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 AM   #30
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
Re: the bolded text. In the post that you quoted I did say "mostly" not "fully." Difference. I did the workouts with about half-an-hour less recovery time between exercises (to fit my schedule), and I was refreshed enough that the Thrusters and Pull-ups did not have a terrible impact on my Deadlifts and Burpees, which did not have a terrible impact on my hill run. From the looks of it, the top athletes did alright, too, since they still turned in mind-blowing performances in each of their three workouts. If you want to keep debating this point and suggest that I'm doing it wrong, go ahead, but you're arguing over a tangential comment that has little to do with the meat of this thread, which is below.

I read over Steven's posts and admit I got the science wrong. But I still stand by my assertion that there should have been something longer than 5 minutes and closer to 20. If it were all the same, 800 meter champions would also be champions at 5000 meters. While I don't think the omission of something long was a travesty, I think the inclusion of some activity longer than 5 minutes would have painted a slightly better picture of who is the most fit.
I can tell you flat out that the top guys were affected from WOD to WOD for various reasons. There are a ton of side stories that you're not aware of - including Josh Everett competing in the last two events with absolutely no skin on both palms. I'm not talking about a callous tear. His palms literally looked like he placed them on a hot stove and suffered 3rd degree burns. That's one example of many. Throw in the heat, sun, dust, competition atmosphere, living out of a hotel, jet lag, training early morning heats, etc and you get the idea of why recovery was such a factor.

How did you make out on the C&J Sunday morning?

Why aren't you worried that there was no true strength component this year?

Works both ways.