CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
Chris Drewry

Profile:
Re: Afiliates who do not use Barbells?

Dont hate the kettlebell. love thy kettlebell.

I use KB's alot.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Chris Walls

Profile:

That's fine but without barbells I think you're missing out on some fundamental stuff, thus limiting the over all progress and potential. Just my opinion.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #13
Zach Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Rovtar View Post
Does this mean you are not doing Crossfit if you do not lift massive amounts of weight? Does this mean that our Marines and Soldiers that are in Iraq are not doing Crossfit workouts because they only have access to Sandbags? I disagree with you on that. Plus, there are many ways to make exercises more difficult without adding extra weight. Have you ever Done a Clean and Jerk with a heavy Sandbag? Have you ever done it with One Arm?
Yep, if you are not, at some point lifting heavy weight, you are not really doing CrossFit. Show me a 1-month period of the main-site WOD that doesn't include heavy weight.

Nope, it doesn't mean that the soldiers you mentioned aren't doing "CrossFit workouts." However, it does mean that they are not doing a complete CrossFit program. What they are doing is integrating elements of CrossFit into their program.

We use sandbags all the time in my gym, so, yes, I know how difficult they are to use. However, a san****** (KB, DB, etc..) simply cannot offer the same amount of resistance that a bar with adequate weights can. Therefore, these tools are not adequate substitutions for a barbell and weights, if one wishes to do Crossfit and not just elements of it.... Remember, strength is one of the 10 aspects of fitness and thus a critical element of a CrossFit program.

BTW - just because something is difficult, that doesn't mean it's effective. Pilates is difficult too.

In my opinion, commercial gyms should be required to meet a minimum equipment list in order to affiliate... If not, what you end up with is people selling "CrossFit" but missing a good 15% to 20% of the actual components of CrossFit.

Zach
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
Justin Rovtar

Profile:

Zach,

I get your point. I still think there are only a few exercises that require a Barbell instead of KB/DB/SB. Two of them being Deadlift & Back Squat.

Just out of curiosity, what is your overall experience with Kettlebells.
Are you able to clean and Press/jerk double 102 lb bells?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
Justin Rovtar

Profile:

Just so you all know, I am not against barbells. Just gathering opinions on KB vs barbell in general.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Does anyone notice that when KB fans are told that KB snatch/c&j is not like a barbell - they always get very defensive instantly?

How come?

Zach & Chris - I'm with you guys. Just didn't feel like stirring the pot too much.

Justin - clean & press 2x102 lbs bells requires brute strength. And the price for 2x102 lbs kb's is just ridiculous. May be get a barbell for the same money with some bumpers?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Rovtar View Post
Things Like overhead Squat with Kettlebells are way harder.
Try one-armed overhead walking lunges with a barbell in a china shop.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Justin, KB's are fine, but they inevitably miss the maximal loading that barbells offer. Kettlebells do not allow as much weight to be moved and do not use all the same movement patters (a kb clean or snatch is not even remotely similar to a barbell clean or snatch). If you don't have barbells at your affiliate, that is a problem.

That said, it's not a crippling problem. Your clients are not doomed to non-fitness because of equipment limitations. Hopefully, I'll be starting a free CF class soon, and I'll only be working with a large outdoor area and rings. No, it won't quite be CF, but that's all I can reasonably work with. Make the best of what you've got.

Last edited by Derek Maffett : 07-02-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
Chris Walls

Profile:

Just because it's harder to do doesn't mean it will give the same adaptation to a barbell OHS that is "just as hard" due to being heavier. I could do my 3x5 back squats on a BOSU after spinning around fast 30 times while saying the alphabet backwards, that'd be hard as hell, but unfortunately wouldn't give me the same adaptation as a heavy 3x5 back squat...
Old 07-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #20
Justin Rovtar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Does anyone notice that when KB fans are told that KB snatch/c&j is not like a barbell - they always get very defensive instantly?

How come?

Zach & Chris - I'm with you guys. Just didn't feel like stirring the pot too much.

Justin - clean & press 2x102 lbs bells requires brute strength. And the price for 2x102 lbs kb's is just ridiculous. May be get a barbell for the same money with some bumpers?
Again, I am not against Barbells at all. I use it regularly. My whole point in this entire post was to see if any other affiliates who have class outdoors (No facility yet) are effectively using DB / KB only. Once I get a facility then the whole barbell issue is a moot point.

I appreciate all the replies and opinions.

JR