CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #321
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: How Does Anyone Afford CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i think it's funny that whenever someboyd disagrees with ryan, the first thing they do is thank him for his service.
Hadn't noticed that - I try to thank all servicemen and women when I learn what they do.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #322
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
So I guess the consensus is "If you don't have enough self discipline to make yourself workout then an affiliate would be good for you?" I workout about 5-6 times a week at 5:00 AM. I guess maybe I am the exception, but I don't need someone else telling me to work harder.

As far as the community goes, I don't need to pay $200 a month to interact with others. That's why I have friends.
Condescend much?

Maybe your friends are different from mine, but most of my non-aikido friends won't let me toss them across the room, and most of my non-Crossfit friends look at me funny when I ponder the intricacies of the snatch. Conversely, I probably wouldn't have met my aikido or Crossfit friends socially if I weren't involved in those activities.

It's not $200 to interact with others -- and my dues are actually less than that -- it's $200 for group training, in which the interaction with others is one of many advantages.

Katherine
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #323
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

I guess I can see where you guys are coming from. Point taken.

Sean...I have the greatest job in the world. Thank you for your appreciation. It comes few and far between these days. I got more dirty looks than handshakes in the ATL airport when I came home for R&R last time. I just like to think people are jealous that I make a good living jumping out of airplanes and playing with guns.

Katherine...though we aren't friends, you can try and throw me around the room.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #324
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
So I guess the consensus is "If you don't have enough self discipline to make yourself workout then an affiliate would be good for you?" I workout about 5-6 times a week at 5:00 AM. I guess maybe I am the exception, but I don't need someone else telling me to work harder.

As far as the community goes, I don't need to pay $200 a month to interact with others. That's why I have friends.
Have a beer. Maybe two...

=)
Old 09-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #325
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

While I somewhat enjoy the camaraderie of partners in suffering during a WOD, most of my training my own isn't CF and I can't imagine many people wanting to do the stuff I want to do. I don't particulary like the programming my friend sticks to (mostly SS with some metcon). Honestly whether they are there yelling at me or not, I go at the same pace (possibly because ignore most everything around me when I"m working out in a WOD or set-it's just me and who really gives a damn about the rest of them?)

Katherine, you make a very good point of that most of our friends wouldn't be willing to do anything like CF or get thrown around (well some of my mates are dojo/training group mates but not all are).

I still like training with my friends out in Marin or in Sac but it's for the change of pace for me than what I'd want to do most of the time. I kinda hate being such a loner sometimes and wish I was in a group...until I am and I've sacrificed time and money to do a WOD I could've down on my own (aka BW CF).
Old 09-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #326
Travis Loest

Profile:

I just read this entire thread..........some good points......some odd comments...........I'm curious if the OP is still paying attention to it.......and I just added another non-contributing post!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #327
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Khalipa offers a $5k lifetime membership, a very good price if you plan to live another...60 years

As for it being too expensive, depends on how much you make and how much you want to spend on meeting Crossfitters. I can certainly see people saying "I don't care how many Crossfit friends I have, I'll just use the methods and get fitter." For others, this is where they make their friendships. If you don't get to meet enough people, this is a good way to, since really you only have to agree about how awesome Crossfit is and that already gives you hours worth of conversation (ie. "Man, Linda is crazy. Yeah, tell me about it. Murph is pretty insane too..." )

Just from demand/supply, CF trainers need to charge more, since they have fewer clients. As to whether results are better, that depends on the individual. Some need to be motivated by outsiders, others have their own intrinsic motivation to begin with. If you are otherwise unmotivated, then yes, results will be better.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #328
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Actaully 5 k isn't that bad. it works out to 4 years and 2months at 100 dollars a month. If you are settled in the area, it seems like a good investment
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #329
Calogero Vassallo

Profile:

I'm not sure how its afforded all I know is that I was doing CF on my own at the gym, but just didn't see what I wanted until I joined a local CF gym and WOW!!!

Worth every penny and so addictive.

There were workouts that if we did those type all the time I'd pay $300-400 a month.

So I can understand now.

I take the whole personal training cost approach to affording it.