CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Jeffrey White

Profile:
Re: $1500 for HS weight room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Re: Jeffrey
What do you mean by "rings are too complicated?"
A couple things (I work in a high school, have coached and help out sometimes in the weight room)

Ring work is primarily about technique. You are going to have anywhere from 15-30 kids in there and maybe 4 or 5 pairs of rings. There really isn't the time for all these kids to get the time they need on the rings.

At that age there are more important things to be working on. Just being able to do core lifts correctly and building raw strength.

Rings aren't really going to help that much with say, a football lineman. We like being able to control our bodyweight and being able to just about anything physical...but I am not convinced that doing muscle ups is appropriate.

Also, most kids in high school still struggle with doing regular dips and pullups...let alone doing them on rings.

The combination of technique and time needed for ring work doesn't make that much sense to me.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Paul LaDuke

Profile:

Rob,

I am the strength coach at a HS in Central PA and the school is an affiliate of East Coast Gold. You can see a picture of the room on the ECG website under Sattelites. If I remember right, you are also a member of ECG.

I have 4 sets of rings in the weight room. I love having them and the athletes enjoy the variety they bring. I do keep it simple for most of them, but just doing push ups, pullups, ring rows, jack knife push ups and dips (for the advanced) is worth it for HS athletes. Working the shoulder stabilizers in such a simple, relatively safe manner is priceless to today's young athletes. Get a few more pair.

I would spend the rest of the money on building platforms and getting a few more squat stands. A good strength coach can do a lot of work with just a platform, squat stands, a good bar, bumpers and rings. This is all the equipment I use personally.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Paul LaDuke, MSS, ATC, CSCS, USAW Club Coach
Head Athletic Trainer, Head Strength Coach, Weightlifting Coach
Lower Dauphin High School
Hummelstown, PA
Old 05-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
Toby Jurging

Profile:

Also a HS ATC and Strength Coach. Our fitness class is 100% CF and other team sports are doing mainly Oly and CF. Sounds like you are pretty well stocked. We have pretty much the same setup as you, so now I am looking at adding platforms, more bumpers and then little things.

The students love parellettes (handstand practice and comp), big tires (can be used as plyo boxes) we actually stand them up to 56" + and jump them. Kids love that stuff, just make it a competition. Slosh pipes are awesome. See if you can get the local FD to donate 50 and 100 sections of old hose, make rope battles and highrise packs for thrusters, carrying, flipping. We have 5 sets of rings and they get used constantly. Secure a few "empty" kegs, large boulders. Try for donations, save the 1500.00 invest it for a rainy day.....just kidding, I know how school districts work, someone will use that money if you don't.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey White View Post
A couple things (I work in a high school, have coached and help out sometimes in the weight room)

Ring work is primarily about technique. You are going to have anywhere from 15-30 kids in there and maybe 4 or 5 pairs of rings. There really isn't the time for all these kids to get the time they need on the rings.

At that age there are more important things to be working on. Just being able to do core lifts correctly and building raw strength.

Rings aren't really going to help that much with say, a football lineman. We like being able to control our bodyweight and being able to just about anything physical...but I am not convinced that doing muscle ups is appropriate.

Also, most kids in high school still struggle with doing regular dips and pullups...let alone doing them on rings.

The combination of technique and time needed for ring work doesn't make that much sense to me.

Buy every kid a pair of rings and have weekly tests of strength and skill
Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Sounds like you need to fundraise?

How many students do you have in at a time? I thought our weightlifting classes in HS were 20-30. Not that they were all working the same stuff. My first weight class was with the football team and we all did the same thing.

You will probably need the small stuff. Bunch of jump ropes and medballs. No idea how expensive med balls are.

Can you build a long pullup bar like some of the affiliates have? 5 sets of rings would only cost over $ 250. Compared to the cost of dip stations or power towers that an awesome savings. While it's harder, there is so much they can do on rings.

A bare minimum Oly set is going to run you nearly half that budget not including the floor and any mat. I wouldn't recommend putting bumpers into that small of a budget. Sounds like regular plates or maybe the plastic kind. Building a couple of platforms could possibly be in the budget. Just some floormats and you could work deads. You can still do a lot of Oly stuff with plates or rubber covered plates. Just can't dump it as much.

Build as many pairs of squat stands as you can buy Oly bars. I'm thinking 3 or 4. Not sure how many 45's, 25's, 10's and 5's you can buy with that budget.

Build some plyo boxes and pvc or wood parallettes. 5 of each?

KB are expensive. I'd go with hex DB. Not sure if those would be more expensive than DB where you have plates that can either add up or detract weights. I wouldn't swing those kind, though.

Would it be possible to hang 2 or 3 ropes? Would it even be worth it? If you have a low ceiling it might be worth investing that money considered your budget.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #16
Woody Dixon

Profile:

I'd see about picking up a couple Glute-Ham developers. All movements done on them, especially the Glute-Ham Raise are pretty high yield in terms of time vs. benefit. I'd then just get some more rings and squat stands with whatever money was left. Oh, and I'd try to find some FREE tires for dragging and flipping.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #17
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey White View Post

Rings are critical in my opinion. Yes, the students might not get into the advanced movements, but they're excellent for learning stability and control of your own weight. Assuming they can't do jack on them yet, start them with ring pushup negatives (easy to teach), work to ring pushups, then to ring dips. Similarly, ring pullups, ring rows, etc... and they can also use the rings as an assistance when learning pistols. There's a ton they can do with rings.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #18
Paul Beckwith

Profile:

I'm with the guy who said can i go back to high school again! all we had was 8 platforms and bumpers, pull-up bars, Dip bars, and benchpress. We did win four straight State Weightlifting titles. C&J and BP in FLA! I think what you have is sufficient. unless your classes require more of the same. oh you need Jump Ropes, GHD, and Dip Bars. Sorinex has a great GHD for 800 and well worth it!
(Phil 3:14) Fran 4:40,Mile7:35, CFT 1310,
www.carolinacrossfit.org
Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
Jason Hughes

Profile:

I think Woody “hit the nail on the head” a couple of Glute-Ham’s looks to be the ticket.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
Rings are critical in my opinion. Yes, the students might not get into the advanced movements, but they're excellent for learning stability and control of your own weight. Assuming they can't do jack on them yet, start them with ring pushup negatives (easy to teach), work to ring pushups, then to ring dips. Similarly, ring pullups, ring rows, etc... and they can also use the rings as an assistance when learning pistols. There's a ton they can do with rings.
Critical?

Then what would you call The Press? Which in Starting Strength, Rippetoe called the best lift for football?

The power clean? deadlift? Squat?

Speed?

I don't know...you could spend more than enough time with Starting Strength with plyo (jumps, medicine ball, even some KB stuff) and running...

I am not saying rings don't add anything...and with a pretty good outfitted HS gym, adding some "extras" like rings and parallettes would be very cool...but I definitely don't view them as "critical".

I admit I am approaching this from a football standpoint, but most kids play at least two, if not three sports...spending 3-5 months focused doing Starting Strength/pylos/running is more than enough to keep everyone busy...no good in getting rims when you need a new transmission.