CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Daniel Gilliam

Profile:
Re: Parkour and CrossFit

Am I missing something? When I go to the American Parkour website I read this:
American Parkour is proud to be a CrossFit affiliate. We feel there is no greater combination than functional movement combined with functional fitness.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gilliam View Post
Am I missing something? When I go to the American Parkour website I read this:
American Parkour is proud to be a CrossFit affiliate. We feel there is no greater combination than functional movement combined with functional fitness.
Mark Toorock (2 posts above you) runs APK... so I'm pretty sure they would support it because he also runs Primal Fitness which is a CF affiliate.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #13
Tom Woodward

Profile:

One of the main attractions of CrossFit for most is the aspect of "measureable and repeatable", thus the x reps for y time. Coach even states that repetition and measurement is necessary to determine progress in a fitness program (whatever the goals aka more power).

Parkour seems to be cut from a different cloth in that respect. I'm sure creating a workout of "5 kongs, 3 vaults and then climb 2 buildings for time" would be like blasphemy for a traceur. I've never really done parkour, but it seems like the methods to the madness of CF and parkour are quite different.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:49 AM   #14
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Agreed Tom, that seems to be the main complaint -- CF goes against the free-flowing, anti-structure nature of the parkour "mindset."
Old 05-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

I disagree... to truly be effective at training [Parkour] (or anything else really) it needs to be structured at least somewhat. Goals help to organize structure and quantify abilities to make sure you're progressing. Some traceurs just have a problem with establishment or structure which I have no clue why.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #16
Roger Harrell

Profile:

The culture of parkour is rebellious. It's inherent in the sport. So those that are practicing it from a cultural perspective can sometimes have issues with structured training. We definitely run into that with our parkour classes some. Most learn (when they get smoked in runs by the folks doing the structured classes) that it is to their benefit to do the training right, but some just won't accept it.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
Jake Oleander

Profile:

the guys that do parkour down here make CF'ers look rebellious. they are so rigorous in their training and structure i kind of shy away from them. in fact they do metcon like WOD's in group meetings on a weekly basis as well as open gym at the local gymnastics place.
i always thought of parkour more as an underground type extreme sport, involving running from the cops and all that good stuff. the mentality that you guys are describing in this thread was what i thought would be the norm, but my experiences with actual tracuers has been quite the opposite.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #18
Marc Doucette

Profile:

I have only a little experience with pk... but I relate... it's like the days I spent skateboarding.

You don't go out and say, alright im going to do 10 kickflips, ollie 3 decks 10 times and 3 flip the 4 stair 5 times... You just kind of go out and skate. You try stuff, you work on some stuff, you develop and get better, you just don't think about it much. PK is something that you do, not some fitness program.

That said, to become better at skating or pk etc., fitness is beneficial. And perhaps one of the best programs to achieve this fitness is x-fit.

I think the poster is trying to say if you use crossfit to achieve fitness... the damage doing reps will inflict on your soul will ruin your pk spirit.

The reason I disagree is that it is my belief that what you do is not important, its all how you do it. Your mind projects the feelings of freedom/confinement on the world, they don't exist on their own.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #19
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Doucette View Post
I have only a little experience with pk... but I relate... it's like the days I spent skateboarding.

You don't go out and say, alright im going to do 10 kickflips, ollie 3 decks 10 times and 3 flip the 4 stair 5 times... You just kind of go out and skate. You try stuff, you work on some stuff, you develop and get better, you just don't think about it much. PK is something that you do, not some fitness program.

That said, to become better at skating or pk etc., fitness is beneficial. And perhaps one of the best programs to achieve this fitness is x-fit.

I think the poster is trying to say if you use crossfit to achieve fitness... the damage doing reps will inflict on your soul will ruin your pk spirit.

The reason I disagree is that it is my belief that what you do is not important, its all how you do it. Your mind projects the feelings of freedom/confinement on the world, they don't exist on their own.
I disagree... to an extent.

"Intuitive" training is something you can do where you specifically work on aspects of movements and all it's components. For example, I can work on say kongs with my takeoffs, hand placement, landings, to different types of grabs, etc. Thinking and planning is definitely an integral component of learning; without focus you learn much more slowly and ineffective. That's why not all training and learning is based off of repetition rather predicated and dedicated specific practice. You won't learn how to play an instrument by just fiddling with it... although some people can.

That said, it doesn't have to be say 100 precisions at 7 ft without messing up then move to 7.5 ft and so on.. but it can be. Everyone learns effectively differently.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #20
Mark Toorock

Profile:

Quote:
The culture of parkour is rebellious. It's inherent in the sport.
Roger, I disagree - or rather feel that that statement needs a lot of clarification to be correct.

I think that when people see that they are going to think in terms of "skateboarder rebellious" - black anarchy t-shirts and kids giving people the finger for no apparent reason.

Parkour has none of that rebelliousness to it, nor does it has an anti-authoritative rebellion in many respects. Traceurs (those who practice) are respectful to their environment, authorities, and people around them.

What they are rebellious to is the idea that a railing is a pen and we are the sheep. We often look at an object created with one purpose in mind and re-purpose it as a personal training tool

Personally I am of the camp that measurable results are usually the most direct way to obtain a goal, and that training must be focused.

Unfortunately, many sources of Parkour information are full of oxymorons and hypocrisies. -

Most use the definition of "using the human body to get from point a to point b as quickly and efficiently as possible"

- while that is a potential outcome of Parkour training, the training itself is quite opposite, we often seek the most convoluted and challenging route specifically as a training modality so that when only a challenging route is presented we are prepared for it. For example, it is usually quicker and more efficient to go up stairs than it is to balance on all fours on the railing and climb, however Traceurs would not agree that taking the stairs is Parkour, and therefore the most common definition is, in my opinion, flawed.