CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Tarun Suri

Profile:
Create a Small Business HELP

Hey guys, I have a class called Creating a Small business and quite obviously, I need to create one. Within the next month, I need to be able to make a complete 25 page business plan of my choosing and guess what I choose: CrossFit of course!

But here's where I need your help. I don't shy from doing actual research bt any chance you guys can help me get on track?
I need to know what are the steps needed to start such a enterprise.

For example, should I first look into Zoning laws?
Do I need a licence?
Do i need to be affiliated/certified?
What size warehouse is recommended (in square feet)?

Your help is tremendously appreciated and I'll regularly post my progress here along with further questions if anyone is willing to help me out. I'm even required to create pro forma financial statements for the next 5 years. I'll post everything here when I'm done!

PS: There already is a Crossfit Montreal! Does that mean I have to search for a new location or can a city have two?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
Zach Forrest

Profile:
Re: Create a Small Business HELP

Hmmm...

I don't live in Canada, so I am unfamiliar with the laws on zoning and such there. But I would check restrictions on gym placement first, if there are any.

Same thing for the license...I know here in the U.S., you usually need a County/City Business License as well as a State License. No idea about Montreal though.

You need to be affiliated and certified to at least Level I within the first year of affiliation.

Size of warehouse is going to be directly proportional to your market size and growth projections, in my opinion. Montreal already has a CrossFit gym (and yes, you can have more than one per city...different name though). So, you have to take into consideration how much you could pull from the existing market, what prices are on industrial in the area, and what you think you could sustain as growth.

CrossFit facilites range from 2,000 sqft. to 5,000 sqft. on average, as far as my research has indicated. Of course, there are affiliates with smaller/bigger spaces that are successful as well.

My advice to you is to contact CrossFit Montreal and gather as much info as you can from them.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Tarun Suri

Profile:

Alright guys. While I've been researching information on how to do a business plan. I created a outline of all components that should be in a business plan with relevant information about its contents. Most of the content was picked here and there from entrepreneur.com if anyone wants to check it out. Great resource.

Anyways, here is my outline. (WFS)http://s3.amazonaws.com/ppt-download...8PQ39V6F79V8G2

Hopefully, this could help you guys out when creating your own. But I'm nowhere done yet. I still have to make the business plan.

Some insight on the work done so far would be appreciated. And if anyone knows how I could successfully complete part one best "Executive summary", the shortest part which I believe would be best taken from people who have doing Xfit for a while and know its components better than me, please help me out or any other place.

Thank again, and stick with me!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Bernard Edwards

Profile:

Tarun,

Sounds awesome, I tried to open the link, but it didn't work for me. Could you please re-check it. Talk with you soon.

B.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

The Executive Summary, while listed in the beginning, is actually completed last.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Give me your email. I have something for you.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
Craig Takahiro Descoteaux

Profile:

the link doesn't work.
here's my e-mail. deperformancetraining@gmail.com

Thank You in advance
Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Tarun Suri

Profile:

Hey real sorry about that guys. Let me try this one more time:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ppt-download...8PQ39V6F79V8G2

If that doesn't work, go to this page and view it from there, since I can't get a direct URL:

Page to view my outline
Again WFS.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Tarun Suri

Profile:

Bernard and Craig, does the link work now? Have you checked out the plan?

Today, I begun the excutive summary.
Business Concept is taken directly from "What is CrossFit" page.

Since the business is currently non-existant, therefore my guess is that the Financial Highlights section would be empty? Or should it be mentioned that business is currently not in operation. Or should this include what the last section will hold: pro forma financials expected for that year?

Financial Requirements will be pending for now, until the majority of my business plan is completed. I'm expecting this to be a short summary of what the later sections will include in greater detail.

Current Business Position include mentioning that the business is currently non-existant.

I'm assuming that Major Accomplishments should be removed as the business does not have any prior accomplishments, or should I be talking about accomplishments from CrossFit itself and not my business?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Tarun Suri

Profile:

For the second part of the Business Plan, I have what I've done so far for Business Description. Please take the time to read and give me input if possible on whether or not it's done properly and if you feel I should add or omit something.

Note: In case you're unfamiliar, this section should outline briefly and should not be long. the details will be covered later in future sections of the business plan.

Business Description

Tell Them All About It

Canada’s fitness industry grossed over $1.6 billion in 2007. From the 4,700 different health clubs available, 4.3 million members represent Canada’s health conscious population. That means only 14.6% of the population is member at a type of health club or organization. Because fitness awareness and application can begin at a very early age ranging to even seniors wishing to live a more active lifestyle, the fitness industry has a very feasible potential for growth.

CrossFit Ile Bizard is a service-oriented business that will be incorporated and that will be privately owned. Tarun Suri will hold 100% equity. Tarun, being a level 1 and 2 CrossFit certified instructor as well as a CanFitPro certified personal trainer, will be able to conduct sessions and seminars for all healthy clients.

[Insert target market here] will be the primary target audience located mostly in the island of Ile Bizard while some customers are expected to come from the West Island of Montreal. The highest concentration of clients will be those living near the Jacque-Bizard Bridge. Sessions and seminars will be held inside the facility and occasionally outdoor in the parking lot, in a nearby park or even around certain streets of Ile Bizard. Support will come through advertising, promotions and referrals; although advertising will only exist in the prior to the grand opening of the facility and before major annual events.

Members of CrossFit Ile Bizard will be able to partake in CrossFit Fundamental sessions; Kettlebell Fundamentals sessions; CrossFit Level 1, 2, 3 classes; Strengths and Conditioning Free Gym period; and finally Elements seminars. Each fundamental program will be five sessions long in which the trainer will assess whether the trainee can graduate to CrossFit Level 1. Being eligible to attend a higher level requires the completion of 10 classes as well as another assessment of the trainer. Strength and Conditioning Free Gym is for Level2 and 3 members only. This is where trainers can give more personalized help on slow lifts that the individual wishes to improve upon. And finally, Elements are simply thirty minute theoretical seminars that give insight to members on various aspects of fitness. Every year, a small number of contests will be hosted in which members can participate with prizes offered as incentive.
[insert footnote on Rogue Fitness here]

How Will I Profit?

Being situated in Ile Bizard provides numerous geographical advantages such as the unsaturated fitness presence, lack of a unique fitness presence (such as a CrossFit facility or similar), residential and commercial growth of the island as well as easy access to the neighboring city. The owner, with all his certification, will also bring his knowledge and experience based on his Business Administration background. CrossFit Ile Bizard will be based on members that form a community. With the collaboration of this community much can be accomplished such as advertising, fund raising and pooling of skills and talents to decrease expenses.

After success and profitability of the business reaches a plateau, due to the size restriction of the facility, either a larger facility will be opened nearby to replace the original location or a second location will be sought to expand the business within approximately thirty kilometers of the original fitness studio. This will be possible after a minimum of five years into the life of the business.

Due to the low supply of available workspace inside the facility at a given time, as well as the hands on training provided, prices will be much higher than traditional open gyms. When the popularity, thus demand, of CrossFit Ile Bizard reaches a point where all available resources will be allocated to all available time slots for session, seminar, classes, etc., CrossFit Ile Bizard will earn lots of profit due to its low overhead costs.