CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:
5 Weeks of Starting Strength

Male - 26 - 6' - 14mo of CrossFit experience before beginning SS
Started SS at 174lb and ended at 188lb

In 5 weeks of drinking 1 gal whole milk per day and following SS exactly as RX'd I gained 14lb and 0.5% fat. I am doing sets of 5 that were previously my one rep max on all lifts except overhead press. This was all better than I expected. One nice side effect is that I keep getting comments on how much bigger my arms, shoulders, and chest are looking.

I had to cut short my 6 weeks of Starting Strength because of an elbow strain that has been getting progressively worse (saw the doc today). I'll be starting WODs again next week, modified to accommodate my elbow.

SS works, and whole milk doesn't make you turn into a fat tub of lard!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
David Aguasca

Profile:
Re: 5 Weeks of Starting Strength

damn, man. that's awesome. have you ever done focused strength work like that before?

also, would you mind posting previous and current 5RM for your lifts?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
George Holder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaffer View Post
Male - 26 - 6' - 14mo of CrossFit experience before beginning SS
Started SS at 174lb and ended at 188lb

In 5 weeks of drinking 1 gal whole milk per day and following SS exactly as RX'd I gained 14lb and 0.5% fat.
Congrats Aaron. I am very interested in how anyone assesses their body composition outside of submersion. How did you accurately determine a fat gain of 0.5%?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Caliper and electronic scale averaged together. The accuracy is probably +/- 2%, not sure but it's the best I've got.

I've done typical "bodybuilder" workouts before, sets of 12x3 or 12x5, but never anything like this and certainly never seen results like this.

Deadlift 315 1RM => 330x5
Bench 190 1RM => 190x5
Squat 255 1RM => 275x5
Clean ?? 1RM => 175x5
Press 130 1RM => 125x5

Last edited by Aaron Shaffer : 02-06-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Got to give credit where credit is due - I attended Rippetoe's CF Barbell cert and read Starting Strength. I would not have gotten these results without his wisdom.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Congrats Aaron. I'll have to post my results soon as well. Thank you god for Starting Strength.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I've been watching this with great interest. About this time last year, my kids and I did SS for 3 months, before jumping into regular WODs. We had great success.

On Sunday, I started a 4-6 week SS cycle again, in the hope of strengthening some persistant weaknesses that have dogged my WOD progress since I started. I plan to carry on 'till I have to re-set squats twice, or until mid-March ... whichever comes first. At a current CFT of #730, I'm hoping to close out the cycle with a new CFT in the low-mid #800s.

Thanks again for posting your experience, Aaron. I'll be very interested to hear how your new strength affects your WOD performances, and how much met-con you appear to have dropped during your hiatus.

t
Old 02-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Jonathan Greene

Profile:

Congrats, Aaron.

Had you recently been training or focusing on the lifts you quoted prior to the SS program, outside of CF WOD's?

Have you plateaued on any lift?

I too am interested on how your metcon benchmarks have improved or declined. I imagine if anything they will have increased as your conditioning should not have slipped far in 5 weeks of barbell training but your strength has certainly improved.

Last edited by Jonathan Greene : 02-09-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Greene View Post
Congrats, Aaron.

Had you recently been training or focusing on the lifts you quoted prior to the SS program, outside of CF WOD's?

Have you plateaued on any lift?

I too am interested on how your metcon benchmarks have improved or declined. I imagine if anything they will have increased as your conditioning should not have slipped far in 5 weeks of barbell training but your strength has certainly improved.
I went to Rippetoe's barbell cert and read his book. Otherwise, no I was not doing any extra practice or anything. I'm the only trainer at my gym right now and I don't have a coach to work with me.

I plateaued on the squat at 275, reset to 265 then finally got 275 on my last day. On press it was 130, then reset to 120 and worked back up to 125 before finishing. The other lifts did not plateau in 5 weeks but my elbow hurts too much to continue.

I've since realized that I was doing the overhead press slightly wrong, letting the elbows drop far behind the bar at the bottom. This strained a tendon where my triceps connect and it hurts like a *****, even on pulling exercises. Oh well, better to make mistakes on myself than on others. It will be very correct now!

Last edited by Aaron Shaffer : 02-09-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Re: metcon
If I could do Fran or row a 5k tomorrow I would and post my times for you, but my elbow won't let me do either. I've got to make up random arm-free WODs for now that I don't have prior times for. I think my times would be better off now, I struggled with strength before but my metcon has always been high given my CC runner past.

Last edited by Aaron Shaffer : 02-09-2008 at 07:55 PM.