CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-31-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
George Mounce

Profile:
WWE starts taking a stand

10 wrestlers suspended due to failing drug tests...(wfs): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20520185/

About time?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
James Forbes

Profile:
Re: WWE starts taking a stand

Maybe this will be the start of a new frontier and ideal in fitness. Too many people have the ideal that these WWE guys are in top physical shape, and that anyone not like them must not be. Hmmmm....I think most people on this forum could do Linda and Murph every day for a week and still stomp the crap out of this guys on any WOD! I think the WWE may become more intriguing if its actors/wrestler lost some bulk (power/strength) but increased all other areas of fitness (flexibility, endurance, coordination, etc).
Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forbes View Post
Maybe this will be the start of a new frontier and ideal in fitness. Too many people have the ideal that these WWE guys are in top physical shape, and that anyone not like them must not be. Hmmmm....I think most people on this forum could do Linda and Murph every day for a week and still stomp the crap out of this guys on any WOD! I think the WWE may become more intriguing if its actors/wrestler lost some bulk (power/strength) but increased all other areas of fitness (flexibility, endurance, coordination, etc).
With all due respect, there might be a handful of people on these forums that could keep up with these guys on the WOD. Regardless of what you think about wrestling, these guys are on the road 300 days a year and still find time to lift weights, eat properly, work their fights, and perform (while we rest 1 day out of 4). If you've been on the mat, you know that falling is falling, whether it's planned or not. A few thousand of those a year start to add up, not to mention grappling 250 pound guys day in and day out. The steroids are as much for recovery as for the muscles. The only way to eliminate steroids is to give these guys more rest. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Traditional lucha libre is as you described. Mexican wrestlers were smaller and more acrobatic. Steroids have taken that over, too.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
With all due respect, there might be a handful of people on these forums that could keep up with these guys on the WOD. Regardless of what you think about wrestling, these guys are on the road 300 days a year and still find time to lift weights, eat properly, work their fights, and perform (while we rest 1 day out of 4). If you've been on the mat, you know that falling is falling, whether it's planned or not. A few thousand of those a year start to add up, not to mention grappling 250 pound guys day in and day out. The steroids are as much for recovery as for the muscles. The only way to eliminate steroids is to give these guys more rest. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Traditional lucha libre is as you described. Mexican wrestlers were smaller and more acrobatic. Steroids have taken that over, too.
Good points all around Gant. Although I don't agree with the use of steroids in any sport, those guys still take one hell of a beating, planned or unplanned. I also have to agree with your comment about Mexican wrestlers. I use to really love watching those aerial acrobatics...simply awesome. It's too bad steroids have seeped into that world as well.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:

These guys have horrible schedules and incredible physical demand on their bodies, hence the abuse of steroids, drugs, and painkillers running rampant. I doubt without the publicity received by the series of deaths of pro-wrestlers that the WWE would have ever done anything. This stuff has been going on for a long time.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 08-31-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
John Bickel

Profile:

Looks like a total PR move. They will not be identifying the wrestlers until Nov 1st. Why the wait?

I am guessing that they want everyone to forget about the suspensions before they release a list of 10 jobbers or wrestlers with contract disputes.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bickel View Post
Looks like a total PR move. They will not be identifying the wrestlers until Nov 1st. Why the wait?

I am guessing that they want everyone to forget about the suspensions before they release a list of 10 jobbers or wrestlers with contract disputes.
They need to shuffle some titles around.

"Jobbers" . Haven't heard that in awhile.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
Becca Borawski

Profile:

I think the list got out anyway, though - I heard a whole list of names on the radio news this morning. I don't remember them all off the top of my head, though.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com