CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #21
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: 12 week Tabata project

Looks like you've finally broken through the plateau. Can't wait to see the next few weeks.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #22
Leah Turner

Profile:

This is pretty sweet! Thanks for doing this and I like everyone else hopes you stick it out to completion! I think I might just have to try this as well....
Old 10-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #23
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Brandon, this is not at all like pulling teeth. Teeth have the decency to stay gone when you remove them. These keep coming back...

I'm pretty stoked that others are following this, and I certainly appreciate the encouragement. Leah, not to worry, I'll definitely see this through. As much as I hate it, I'm going to do keep doing Tab work at least every other week. The results have been too good not to. Given that I had several months of CF going into this, it's pretty clear that a lot of the gains can be chalked up to the work. I just look forward to the day when I can grow skin on my hands again.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #24
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Your progress is great. I'd much rather do tabata than GTG also since I can get some cardio work. Thanks for doing this.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #25
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Week 9

I was worried about a letdown since I had good improvement in week 7 and a good showing in Cindy (for me) last week. Despite doing Fran the day before pullups, I got one less than my personal best. Pushups and squats continue to improve.

Pullups

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...es/pullwk9.jpg

wk 9: I did this one morning on the way out of town. I had done Fran and muscle-ups the day before, but it still went well. This may be my sticking point. I can't get much faster (the 17 pullup round was an aberration) without learning a better method of kipping.

Pushups

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...es/pushwk9.jpg

wk 9: I did these early one morning in my hotel (that's getting to be a habit). Consistent on the top end with some improvement on the bottom end.

Squats

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../squatswk9.jpg

wk 9: More hotel room fun. I think I increased my top number because of my effort in Cindy the week before.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #26
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I did Tabata Something Else today. This doesn't have much to do with the project except to serve as a reference. After doing Tab pullups on Tuesday and Tab pushups and squats yesterday, and a little hangover from traveling (and eating Chicago deep dish--I'm 4 pounds heavier), I was in no mood for Tabata anything. But I walked into the gym, some buddies called me out, so I went at it cold.

Tabata Something Else

Pullups:12, 12, 12, 12, 11, 10, 10, 8= 87
Pushups:16, 16, 16, 14, 12, 12, 10, 13= 109
Situps: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9= 78
Squats:16, 15, 15, 14, 14, 14, 14, 17= 119

TOTAL: 393

I'm pretty ****ed off that I missed 400. I'd like to think I could've done it if I had a plan going in, but whatever. My situps were shameful. I should do some sometime. I also found that Tab pushups and squats CAN be done on consecutive days; it just hurts like hell.

I've also decided to continue the project until I stop improving. I'll do it at least every other week, and I'll probably mix in some HSPU and situps. There's just no other way to improve the basic CF components with such little time. The mental benefits may exceed the physical. I started out doing these out of curiosity. Then I started to hate them. Now I'm starting to like them. After doing them for 3 days in a row, the pain and discomfort is like an old friend. Maybe I'm just losing it...
Old 10-31-2007, 12:27 PM   #27
Gant Grimes

Profile:

No graphs this week. I've been busy at work and very busy getting prepared for the 11/11 workout. My body is damn near dead from the prep, but I still managed to get my Tabata in. I think I'm becoming addicted.

Yesterday's workout was sprints, OHS, and MU, so my body was beaten up coming in. Because I'm stupid, I went ahead and did Tab pushups and squats last night. I got the pullups in this morning.

pullups
14, 12, 10, 10, 8, 9

These were not good. I did a lot of L-pullups Monday and 40 MUs yesterday, so my body was begging for a rest. I called my body a ***** and pressed on. I've been practicing the Eva kip so I can have a smoother, more efficient swing, instead of my usual violent motion that resembles a dead hang with a couple frog kicks. Well, smoother isn't faster. After I got through the first round, I couldn't tell a difference because I was hurting so bad. So pullup numbers this week aren't great, but again, the Tabata protocol itself is what improves performance, not the weekly output.

pushups
32, 27, 20, 17, 13, 10

Doing these on the carpet was really nice. For whatever reason, these have improved every single week. I got out quick, and I sustained good pace. Every round was an improvement over last week, except the last one, where I nearly died. The cramping was significant, and my left elbow hurts like hell after the MUs.

squats
24, 22, 20, 18, 18, 18

I had a great week of Tab squats last week. I didn't match that, but it was a good effort. I beat my previous first round PR, but I deteriorated faster. I held the last 3 rounds at 18, which is ok compared to where I was. Two days of sprinting and OHS took their toll. Again, my body objected. Again, the objection was denied.

Next week is the last week of Tabata work for this project. I'll test with Cindy the week after. I'll give a writeup about my thoughts, as well as some final benchmarks (max P/P/S, Angie, Tabata Something Else, etc.). Beyond that, I will continue doing Tabata exercises at least every other week and will probably add some sit-ups, ring dips, and thrusters. We will see.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #28
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
No graphs this week. I've been busy at work and very busy getting prepared for the 11/11 workout. My body is damn near dead from the prep, but I still managed to get my Tabata in. I think I'm becoming addicted.

Yesterday's workout was sprints, OHS, and MU, so my body was beaten up coming in. Because I'm stupid, I went ahead and did Tab pushups and squats last night. I got the pullups in this morning.

pullups
14, 12, 10, 10, 8, 9

These were not good. I did a lot of L-pullups Monday and 40 MUs yesterday, so my body was begging for a rest. I called my body a ***** and pressed on. I've been practicing the Eva kip so I can have a smoother, more efficient swing, instead of my usual violent motion that resembles a dead hang with a couple frog kicks. Well, smoother isn't faster. After I got through the first round, I couldn't tell a difference because I was hurting so bad. So pullup numbers this week aren't great, but again, the Tabata protocol itself is what improves performance, not the weekly output.

pushups
32, 27, 20, 17, 13, 10

Doing these on the carpet was really nice. For whatever reason, these have improved every single week. I got out quick, and I sustained good pace. Every round was an improvement over last week, except the last one, where I nearly died. The cramping was significant, and my left elbow hurts like hell after the MUs.

squats
24, 22, 20, 18, 18, 18

I had a great week of Tab squats last week. I didn't match that, but it was a good effort. I beat my previous first round PR, but I deteriorated faster. I held the last 3 rounds at 18, which is ok compared to where I was. Two days of sprinting and OHS took their toll. Again, my body objected. Again, the objection was denied.

Next week is the last week of Tabata work for this project. I'll test with Cindy the week after. I'll give a writeup about my thoughts, as well as some final benchmarks (max P/P/S, Angie, Tabata Something Else, etc.). Beyond that, I will continue doing Tabata exercises at least every other week and will probably add some sit-ups, ring dips, and thrusters. We will see.
I'm definently going to add Tabata pushups into my routine.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #29
Gant Grimes

Profile:

It's done!

...sort of*.

I'm still recovering from doing 3 rounds of Filthy Fifty on Saturday, but I needed to get in the gym. I probably should've rested, but my GymBoss came in the mail, and I had to try it out (it kicks ***!! Wish I'd had it the last three months.).

I tied a PR, set a PR, and didn't even finish the squats after my quads seized up. A fitting end for the project. Graphs and commentary later this week.

Pullups
16, 15, 13, 10, 10, 9

Tied my best total.

Pushups
32, 27, 21, 16, 15, 12

New total PR!

Squats
25, 21, 19, 17, 12-DNF, 0-DNF

Best first round, but DNF. Couldn't even answer the bell on the last set.

*This is the end of this project but not my Tabata. I'm convinced 6 rounds of Tabata work on component exercises will increase performance across the board (and enhance GPP). In the coming weeks, I'll be doing some ring work, MU work, thrusters, and other stuff. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 11-06-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #30
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Final test- "Cindy."

24 rounds + 3 pullups

PR by 3 rounds in one month's time.