CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Just wanted to thank those who came over today at CF-Racine. Larry Lindenman, Kelly Moore, Jon Mullison and Adam Spangler attended. My aunt came to take photos and Kelly's mom and Anne were along for the ride (great people, btw).

Larry's got a strong gymnastics background and was kind enough to share his experience and advice. He's a great guy with a lot of enthusiasm. If any of you people in Chicago get the chance to train with him, take it - you won't regret the opportunity. Throughout the day he'd periodically have me work on getting the muscle-up. I've done a few before, but have since seemed to lost the ability. Larry's excellent tips are going to help be get back on track. He had us work on ring kips, back uprise to supports and front and back levers. He also showed immense control in the handstand position on parallettes - holding a static hold for at least 30 seconds at a time.

Jon brought by some reading material for me (MILO, IronMind, Vitalics and Hard-Style). Thanks for the material, Jon!

Once Kelly arrived things got rolling. Kelly and I did an informal NAKF competition (see here for event rules: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/25/6684.html).
Having the extra support of community helped both of us hit highs in the first event, the deadlift. Kelly pulled off a 3x bodyweight DL (347.5#) with no belt on a standard bar! Only afterwards did we realize we misloaded the bar and had 7.5 pounds more on one side than the other. I was able to pull 405#. It's been a while since I've pulled this much and I think it may be the first time I've done it using a narrow stance with hook grip.
While we built up the weight, other attendees would jump in a rip off a few reps here and there. A couple of times Adam would stiff-leg deadhang what the rest of us were deadlifting.

Clean and jerk with a set of KBs was next. I screwed up early in this one and rested in the 'down' position resulting in an early end and a paltry 18 reps. Kelly smoked me with an even 50. I don't she really rested until about the 40th rep, and even then the rests were really short.

Kelly got 31 dead hang pull-ups, I managed 13.

For the secret service snatch test I pulled off 117 reps. Kelly got 145. Her question about how much time was left when we were half-way through sounded casual. I was huffing and puffing by that point. I had a hard time allowing the KB to swing away from my body. A lot of my snatches were done Olympic style according to Kelly and Larry. Go figure.

We finished off with the sandbag shouldering. Kelly nailed 40 reps and I got 27.

Kelly's an outstanding athlete - she really pushes past the point when most others would quit - very inspiring.

Inbetween events, Larry would show us ring stuff, Kelly showed us some KB and clubbell moves and we were able to teach Kelly how to do a hip pull-over on a low bar. Larry gave us some excellent tips regarding nutrition ala the Zone diet.

Anyway, it was a great time. I look forward to having other events that will hopefully build the CrossFit community in the midwest. Sorry for the ramble, but it was an extremely exciting/fulfilling day.

Gotta go get the pics from Walgreens,

Ryan
Old 02-26-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Sounds great, Ryan! Thanks for posting the description. Let us know when the photos are up.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Kelly is a machine! Her technique is flawless...almost scary. This was Ryan's 2nd time using KB's, with very little instruction from Kelly, he was cranking reps for the Secret Service 5 minute test. Once Ryan gets the technique down, forgetaboutit! One of the most impressive things I saw was Ryan's 6 year old daughter, Julia, crank off 5 yes 5 dead hang pullups. As I was leaving, I mentioned a V-sit. I tried it on the P-bars and failed, Julia hopped on did the V-sit and stuck her tongue out at me! I had an awesome time and will brag for Kelly and Ryan tomorrow when I have more time.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Wow. This sounds great. And Julia sounds like she isn't going to be far behind Kelly for too long!
Old 02-27-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Julia is everyone's hero, isn't she? :smile:

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/...ins_helen.html
Old 02-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hmmm...I do not eat cheese but it sounds like I need to do a trip to WI! Gotta go where the fun is.

Robb
Old 02-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Way to go, Kelly - great performance on the triple bw dead (and the rest).

Funny, Julia is what we called a "normal kid" when I was a young'un...and now hero status? When we were kids, everything was fair game to be climbed on or under or over, jumped on, jumped off, jumped over, hung off of (upside down or rightside up), dragged, biked to, skated to, etc. Pretty sad commentary on today's society and how children are raised.

This is not a shot at Julia! Just a social commentary...when normal has become so rare as to receive such disproportionate accolades, it's pretty tragic.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Sorry it took so long, but I finally got some pictures up. They're at: http://www.crossfitcommunity.com/gallery/CFR. I had to wait till I had a chance to use a relative's computer. My dial-up just doesn't cut it for uploading pictures. I posted pictures from the event and a few extras containing some of the locals in the days following. Thanks again to all of those who attended and/or showed their support. Racine, Kentucky, the UK, South Carolina and Portland. Looks like we've got new activity popping up all over the place!

Ryan
Old 03-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
Mike Minium

Profile:
Nice gallery, Ryan.

Some of your captions cracked me up. My personal favorite was "The Krebs cycle! Oooooh! Aaaaah!". LOL!

Mike
Old 03-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Glad you liked it, Mike. I couldn't resist having a gag photo in there somewhere.

Ryan