CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
Erik Preston

Profile:
Which is more functional? Who swears by either, and why? I'm not looking for glimpses into the black box, I'm more interested in inputs and outputs, as tested by the Crossfit Community.

I would gather that more Crossfit worthy movements, under load, can come out of the kettlebell hopper than the dumbell one.--thus, fulfilling the "functionality" tenet with more economy. The permutations of movement seem more three dimensional, vs. dumbells.

There's nothing like a dumbell squat or DL, though.

Am I correct? Where does everybody fall on this divide, if there is one?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
First of all, you seem to be asking two different questions. Do you mean to compare dumbells and kettlebells or barbells and kettlebells...perhaps all three?

Second, this has, and will be, debated ad-nauseum. The short answer is this: All are valuable when used correctly. There is a time and place for each in your training. Each has advantages for certain goals, or movements. Why would you want to establish a pecking order if you don't have to? Is a hammer better than a saw? For what?

Crossfit is about broad stimulus. By placing a higher value on one tool, you are consciously limiting your training stimulus. Avoid doing that.

I think the various strength and conditioning communities out there would be well served to move beyond the judgement of 'good and bad' in regards to sound resistance training devices.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
Erik Preston

Profile:
Adrian--a good response, in keeping with the Crossfit methodology.

My post clearly wasn't clear enough.

My interest isn't as base as constructing a pecking order, or to spark needless debate. It's more designed with creating an efficient garage gym, with limited resources that will give the broadest stimuli.

Sorry to construct a false dichotomy. Not my intent.

Still interested in learning about KB, in relation to BB and DB. Does this frame it better? Thx Brother.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Like Adrian said both are needed. For you garage gym the db are cheaper. So you can start with them, but diffently purchase a kb in the future.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Also,
for heavy/ME WOD's(cleans, DL, squat, etc), barbells are mightly handy.

I know there are heavy KBs, but these seem to be outside the scope of this discussion(if you could buy all the KBs including the big boys, the cost of a bar wouldn't even make a dent).
Old 05-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Erik - no false dichotomy, a very legitimate question, but one that can create a needless argument. What's better a better weapon a scoped rifle or a knife? You can debate that till the cows come home but until you find out if you're fighting in a phone booth or at opposite ends of a football field "better" doesn't really mean anything.

Each tool has a different function and application and to complete your gym you will need all three. Hard to beat the barbell for heavy deadlifts and back squats but it sure is nice to do high rep snatches and the H2H stuff with the kettlebells. Check out Coach Rutt's dumbbell exercises and you will be certain that you can't do without them.

If it is purely a cost thing you will get a lot farther with your money with dumbbells and you can do fantastic things with them. I would add a good York needle bearing barbell next (or other similar bar - don't skimp here) and rubber bumpers from BFS or wherever. Gotta have bumpers. Add the kettlebells later. I have quite a collection of all these things and would be hard pressed to give you a Maslowesque hierarchy as to which I like best. But from a cost/benefit analysis I would go DB, BB, KB.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:
Eugene,
Great post, as usual.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:35 AM   #8
Erik Preston

Profile:
Good stuff, all. I stand advised.

KB's do seem like a luxury at this point for my garage gym, and I count myself fortunate enough to have access to many at Crossfit Philly, under the tutelage of serious KB experts, Jason Brown and Pamela MacElree.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Don't forget free things like tires (big ones for flipping and smaller ones for throwing), cheap thigns like sledghamemrs and sand bags. We made rings out of dog-chew toys (chicken flavored) and some climbing webing. I think costco has a rubber hex DB set for like $150!! You can have a kick-*** facility for pennies if you allocate the fundage correctly.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:50 AM   #10
Per Nyberg

Profile:
Erik, you can allways make your own kettlebell handles. I did mine by sawing a triceps handle in two. Voila!! You have just got two kettlebell handles that you can load with plates. A lot cheapr than kettlebells and easier to adjust the wheight.