CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-03-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
Tim McFarland

Profile:
Currently my wife & kids and I live in Alaska, but it seems likely that we will be moving to Montana in a little over a month. We're going to drive the Alcan highway, and along the way I want to keep working out - it's a pretty long trip, and we will most likely take our time. I'm going to have to carry along every bit of equipment I might need to work out with, and I'm wondering about dips.

Before this possible move came up I had vague plans for building dip bars out of galvanized pipe. I could still do that, but something rigid won't really store well in the back of the truck with all the camping gear and the two huge dogs. So, I think I need to make something that will break down...but I don't want it to break down on me while I'm actually working on it. What I'm kind of thinking of is something that basically looks like a huge pair of parallettes, but the feet on the bottom would need to detach or rotate somehow to stay out of the way.

I doubt that there will be many trees along the way that are appropriate for hanging rings off of - the trees tend to be stunted Spruces with pretty puny branches. I thought that I could sub body rows for pullups by using my great big parallettes, and maybe put my feet up on one while pulling up on the other.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Walker Dips :happy:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/23895.gif
Old 05-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
Tim, does your truck have one of those hidden hitch type trailor hitch's? The one's that mount to the frame underneath, you then slide in either a ball hitch or even a bike rack.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Tim, the portable squat racks sold by Ironmind and Bradshaw Welding also double as dip bars. They disassemble into a very small space. Check out their design - the cross piece is just a bar that slides out.
http://www.bwproducts.com/fitness/eq.../racks/r04.jpg
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...ages/1312f.jpg
Old 05-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Tim McFarland

Profile:
Chris - I do have one of those hitches, but I'm using it to pull the trailer.:happy:

Lincoln - that looks perfect, except that I'm cheap so I didn't want to buy something, I wanted to build it. That looks like a good setup, if I could just duplicate it somehow and stay true to my tightwad self.

Paul - I like your idea best, I should be able to get a walker from Salvation Army or something. But it doesn't look like it would work for the pulling exercises...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:
For pullups...how about a bar with a tripod at it's base and a band or a bar that would wrap around a tree. The bar sticks out from the tree perpendicular. Something a utility worker or lumberjack might stand on. Get the idea? (patent pending) This way you just have to find a tree that is like 5" in diameter about 6' off the ground with no branches. There is a solution for branches, but I cannot condone that.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Paul, the walker is a great portable dip sta. great idea!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
Tim McFarland

Profile:
Paul, um...I think I have the idea, but not really. I'm not sure exactly how to do what you are saying, but I think I see where you're coming from.

It occurs to me that I have a climbing tree stand that I use for hunting deer. It holds my weight up in a tree quite nicely, maybe I could put the base up in a tree and do pullups off of it. It's not designed for that, and the different stress might be a problem, but it could work... I'll have to experiment this evening at home.}
Old 05-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Ditto on the walker. Had one from my heart surgery in 1999. Works great!
Old 05-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
Jeff Davis

Profile:
Here is some sort of collapsible dip device that actually looks alot like a walker to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7237153684&category=15 281&fkx s=1