CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Hey Gary, how's it going? Cool to see you here!

Old 05-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #12
Ted Williams

Profile:
I'd take a slightly different approach to all this. It sounds like the way you are being trained is leading to injury, based on previous injuries. Maybe strive for the train smarter, not harder route. Self defense training, imho, is more about replicating those situations that call for it, than hitting hard. How can you use what you've learned if you are injured from learning how to use it?

Also, from personal experience, I've found that I am more prone to injury if I don't wrap my hands with good wraps (nice and long, and fresh ones). Never, never never hit a bag with your bare hands...a bag isn't made like a person, it'll just lead to injury.

Ted
Old 05-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #13
Gary Turner

Profile:
Hi! I'm good thanks! Hope you guys are too!

Be careful with the wrapping of the hands, don't do it too tight...this will prevent the hand's natural flexion. There are so many pro fighters that get it wrong too. The idea is that they 'support', not restrict.

Hand wrapping is an art, and only 12 months ago when I got a new chief coach in Lucien Carbin from Holland did I realise how important wrapping is, as long as it is done correctly...

One last tip - always relax totally when punching. If you try and punch you will be driving a car with your foot hard on the accelerator and hard on the brake - you'll make alot of noise but go no-where!

Use your powerful legs to propel your body, your hands at the end, but keep everything nice and relaxed. Tension could be another cause?

Sounds like you've got some good guys with you - just check that they aren't all working at different purposes to you and each other! You sound experienced, so you'll know what I mean!

14oz? Good choice!

I never use wraps on the bag (but then I am made pretty robust - I wouldn't recommend it to everyone) and use 18oz for general training, cutting down to 16s, then 14s, then 12s, then 10 as I approach a fight.

Good luck with it!

Smiler