CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-30-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
Kurt Holm

Profile:
A while ago there was a thread about rotational strength and the lack of twisting movements in CF. It struck a chord with me because I have done a fair amount of yoga over the years. Some posters suggested thea unbalanced lifts help build rotational strenght so I set out to devise a workout that relied on unbalanced movements. Thus the title....

21,18,15,12,9,6,3 reps of:
BB Suitcase Deadlift (scale weight to ability, switch sides half-way through each set)
KB OH Lunge (again, scale weight and change the hand you hold the KB in roughly half-way through each set)
Pistol (switch legs half-way *I had to hold on to a pole)
MB Push-ups (I used an 8" D-Ball placed directly under my face. The first rep is right hand on the ground/left hand the the D-Ball, second rep is both hands on the D-Ball, third rep is right hand on the ground/left hand on the D-Ball, fourth rep is both hands on the D-Ball, etc.)

I found this to be a very taxing workout and I felt it for a couple of days after....play around with it, it's easy to sub and scale!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Tim McFarland

Profile:
Good workout, and I love the title! Brainy jocks are cool...
Old 04-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Hey if you like Phillip Glass, you might like Steven Reich. He's interesting.

As far as rotational movements, far and away my favorite is Russian Twists, where you put the barbell in the corner, and rotate the other end. Good fun for all.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
Kurt Holm

Profile:
Actually Barry I'm looking at a Landmine http://www.power-systems.com/nav/clo...09&Landmine%99 (WFSLink). Seems like fun!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:
You shouldn't need it. I used to use a barbell all the time, and just put one end in the corner. Put a couple 25's on the end, and 3 sets of 10-15 will put the hurt on you, or most of us.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Tim McFarland

Profile:
I did a variation of your workout today:

21-15-9-3
-suitcase deadlift, 90 lbs (used a tricep bar)
-db creepdown and press, 15 lb db's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOUSYTNCQFY
-buelers, 35 lbs http://www.bodytribe.com/buelers.html (but I switched sides each rep)
-plyo pushups (I forgot my med. ball so did these with one hand on a 10" box, other on the floor, switching each rep)

It took me 18:35, and was among the hardest metcon workouts I have done recently, at least in terms of the heavy breathing, high heartrate, and drippyness. I'm impressed with you for doing the whole 21-18-15-12-9-6-3 - that would have about killed me.

Links are w/f safe, btw, and the creepdown and press is pretty cool...
Old 05-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
Kurt Holm

Profile:
Glad you "enjoyed" it Tim. I gotta tell you that those "Creepdowns" look very tough. My hip flexibility would definitely be a limiting factor. I used a lighter weight for the suitcase DL (65lbs.) and it took me 37:00 and change (most of thast time was spent sitting on my 24" box praying that I wouldn't barf). I train in my basement and when I came upstairs my wife looked at me like she was considering having me committed...I must have been a tad loud.

I did a short one today using Tabata intervals and those Jumping Squats Coach Bergener used in the VoD. I actually thougth it was "worse/better" than Koyaanisqatsi. I'm calling it "Izumi's Revenge".