CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Peter Keller

Profile:
Tough Mudder = Awesome

I just wanted to drop some props on the Tough Mudder races. I did the event in Austin yesterday and the organizers handled a tough situation in a really classy way- and the course was a dream for a Crossfitter with some endurance.

Central Texas is in a huge drought right now, but between Saturday and Sunday, we had several inches of rain- the first substantial precip in months. This totally screwed up the course and the parking situation.

The race directors were scrambling, but they ended up shortening the course, allowing everyone who was out there to run (despite rumors that the event would be cancelled entirely), and comping everyone to a future Tough Mudder event for FREE.

I've volunteered at a few races (road races) before, and I've never seen a problem like this handled so well for the entrants. And- I've seen a few races screw over their athletes (cough, cough, Muddy Buddy).

So, I was really impressed with the race directors.

As for the course- I was skeptical when I signed up that this race would be anything difficult. I've run a few marathons, a few obstacle course races, and a ton of other running races (road and trail), plus Crossfit competitions, etc. All the obstacle races/mud runs claim to be hard, but the obstacles are always dialed down so "normal" people can handle them.

Not the Tough Mudder. Even though we only ran a 6 mile course, I was really impressed with the difficulty level of the race itself, and the obstacles specifically. There were a few obstacles that really strung out the racers (a quarter pipe you had to run up, a 12 foot wall climb), and many others that were just plain tough.

I think the Tough Mudder races would challenge even the fittest out there, and I would enthusiastically recommend a Tough Mudder over a marathon or half as an ideal "destination" or "goal" race for a Crossfitter.

I know I'll be back for more!

Tough Mudder WFS (note that audio is on by default)
Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Paul Philips

Profile:
Re: Tough Mudder = Awesome

Totally agree. TM rocks. I just signed up for Oct 22 MudManX to warm up for TM tristate in November.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:

A family member did the Tough Mudder here in Wisconsin back in July and he absolutely loved the high level of challenges. He is an avid runner, biker and tri-athlete so he really appreciated all that the TM had to offer. Iíve done marathons, trail runs and duathlons and am currently training for the Spartan Run which takes place in IL this weekend but next year I just might have to do a TM also.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Dan Schaal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Philips View Post
Totally agree. TM rocks. I just signed up for Oct 22 MudManX to warm up for TM tristate in November.

I am doing the TM this wknd at Wintergreen resort in VA and then the tri-state on 11/12 (same day as my 20th High school reunion).