CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: How long does it take to regain conditioning?

I also read an interesting program Glen Pendlay suggested for both power and Olympic lifting. Might be just what your looking for?

Day 1
Linear Progression:
Back Squat
Bench Press

Day 2
Lighter day (doubles and triples)
Snatch
Clean & Jerk

Day 3
Rest

Day 4
Linear Progression:
Front Squat
Military Press or Push Press

Day 5
Rest

Day 6
Heavy singles
Snatch
Clean & Jerk
Dead lift 1 heavy set maybe every other week.

Day 7 Rest

Link
Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
Collin Thompson

Profile:

The fellow who mentioned the burpees/planks between sets has a good idea - I was doing that for a while but once the weights started getting seriously heavy I had to conserve all my energy between sets so that only works temporarily. I did find max round of tabata burpees (set a minimum rep limit and once you don't hit it you're done) works well as do hill sprints.
I'm doing Greyskull and have been doing the burpees and the sprints along with cherrypicking some CFFB WODs when appropriate. As long as you get 1 or 2 ~8-12 minute circuits in a week your conditioning shouldn't be too sapped. Just don't fall into the typical crossfitter metcon withdrawal syndrome. Always remember you're strength training. You'll probably achieve better strength gains if you ditch circuits all together, but hey, they are kinda fun.

Side note, completed the Norcal Tough Mudder this past weekend on very minimal conditioning training (couple days of sprints and one 2 mile run in hills) and almost solely strength work. The leg strength one gains from 3x5 squats is probably the absolute best thing ever.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Thanks for the replies.

I was a little concerned about that Brendan. Some guys can pack it in but my unfortunate curse is that I've never been able to. I've definitely tried many times but if I'm not hungry my body absolutely won't take anything. If I stuff myself at meals I get a pretty strong gag reaction to it and occasionally I've thrown up. So I try to just split up lots of small meals over the day an that works a little better.

For those that are interested I'm building around Burgeners 10x3 squat program. So basically:

Monday is Snatching and assistance strength work for that. Tuesday is 10x3 Back squat day and probably some prowler pushes or sprints for power/conditioning. Wednesday is C&J day + assistance work. Thursday is 10x3 Front Squat + Sled drags or sprints. Friday off. Saturday Max Snatch/C&J day.

For assistance work I'll be doing heavy compound lifts like weighted pull-ups/dips, bench, press, push press, GHR, OHS, etc. Then for my squatting days I'll just rotate around sprints/prowler/drags for conditioning and extra power. I may also switch those out for the occasional short heavy met con should I get the itch. These will also be first to go in the case of needed rest as 10x3 squats is going to be awesome already.
As well my warmups will consist of gymnastics skills just so I don't lose them like pull-ups/pushups/ring dips/levers/muscle ups/HSPU/pistols. I'll try to do things like HSPU and MU at least weekly because I really don't want to lose my skill in those and I think they're all beneficial to shoulder health and strength.

Eating of course will be my weakest part. Here's hoping my appetite burns like a furnace.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
For those that are interested I'm building around Burgeners 10x3 squat program. So basically:

Monday is Snatching and assistance strength work for that. Tuesday is 10x3 Back squat day and probably some prowler pushes or sprints for power/conditioning. Wednesday is C&J day + assistance work. Thursday is 10x3 Front Squat + Sled drags or sprints. Friday off. Saturday Max Snatch/C&J day.

For assistance work I'll be doing heavy compound lifts like weighted pull-ups/dips, bench, press, push press, GHR, OHS, etc. Then for my squatting days I'll just rotate around sprints/prowler/drags for conditioning and extra power. I may also switch those out for the occasional short heavy met con should I get the itch. These will also be first to go in the case of needed rest as 10x3 squats is going to be awesome already.
As well my warmups will consist of gymnastics skills just so I don't lose them like pull-ups/pushups/ring dips/levers/muscle ups/HSPU/pistols. I'll try to do things like HSPU and MU at least weekly because I really don't want to lose my skill in those and I think they're all beneficial to shoulder health and strength.

Eating of course will be my weakest part. Here's hoping my appetite burns like a furnace.
I was actually going to suggest doing some sprints for your conditioning, but I can see that you have them planned. That's all I'm doing right now for my conditioning and I haven't lost anything as I can still run 1 mile in 6 minutes. I like to do things suchs as 4x800, 4x400, or something like 7 rounds of: 45 seconds max run/1:15 minutes light jog (2 minutes total). Your combos are endless. You can also Tabata's double unders. Just keel it simple.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
If you can handle whole milk it is great for this. Protein shakes, made with whole milk and frozen fruit. Not the weight gain stuff, too much junk carbs. I also found post workout recovery shakes help. So it would look something like.

Protein shake (2 Scoops protein, 2 cups whole milk, 1 frozen banana)
Breakfast
Workout
Recovery shake (2 scoops protein, 2 scoops maltose dextrose)
Lunch
Dinner
Protein shake (2 Scoops protein, 2 cups whole milk, 1 frozen banana)

You don't have to eat huge meals but they should all be balance (Zone style is good for this). Look for meats that come with fat. Ground turkey might be a great source of protein but if you want to build muscle and weight 80/20 ground beef (if you can get grass fed it is the best, can be expensive) will do a better job.

I am a firm believer that anyone who is medically healthy (no hormone issues) can put on muscle this way. Those who claim they can't have never truly followed directions.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely am a whole milk drinking/ground beef eating whore.

My protein shakes usually look like:
1 Scoop Protein
2 cups whole milk Whole Milk
3 eggs

I also eat my share of bananas and fruits for some awesome natural sugars. I like adding 3 eggs instead of another scoop of protein because it adds a ton of extra fat instead of just another 30g of protein which equals more calories. Bacon also routinely finds its way into my diet. Yum yum. I usually eat turkey for lunches though so I may switch that out for salami or something and get a ton more fat in at lunch.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
Samy Natour

Profile:

I've been rowing once a week while doing Westside. I will hit a pr 500 m row(sub 1:30) the next time I row for sure, and thats the only conditioning I've basically been doing for 5 months.

If anything start off doing conditioning once a week and if you feel ok add another day. In my (limited) experience I've found that doing conditioning involving simple movements is best when on a strength program. Ie. 3 rounds 10 sledgehammer strikes/side, 15 kb swings 2pd, 15 burpees. Short and sweet!

Edit : After doing starting strength for 4 months with 0 conditioning , I found it took about 6 weeks to get back to a good level! Well worth the strength gains though.

Last edited by Samy Natour : 09-25-2011 at 03:58 PM.