CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:
Setting up Group Programming

I am currently in charge of training a large group of soldiers and I am trying to figure out the best way to set it up based on training levels. My programming is pretty much based on strength since that is what most people lack and can most benefit from. This is a long term plan, I don't really expect anyone to get to the Advanced Level during my time though. Here is what I have so far.

White (Novice) = GSLP
White+ (Novice)= 70s Big S&C
Grey (Intermediate)= Texas Method
Black (Advanced)= Conjugate CF or 5/3/1

There is conditioning throughout of course. I am also planning every 6 months or so to do an Olympic Lifting cycle from Catalyst Athletics. Gymnastic work would be worked in but only once there is a solid base of Push-ups, Dips, Strict Pull-ups/Chins. Then on Saturdays we would go 15+ minutes on the Metcon or work in our Foot Marchs. The Conditioning Work (WODs) would typically be under 12 minutes about 50% would be Sprints, and the rest Crossfit WODs. If anyone has any input that would be great, especially if you tried this, or tried doing something similar. Also if there is a better way to do an advanced program with at least 3 Conditioning Workouts that would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Setting up Group Programming

Why not just stick with Conjugate CF? I've tried Conjugate CF and the 70's Big and I prefer the Conjugate because it fits my schedule better and I'm seeing better results. And I'm still a beginner with below average strength. I get enough of the Olympic lifts and pushups and pullups from CrossFit Metcons. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

I tried the Conjugate CF and my strength went down I may have done it wrong though. I did the 70s Big and I saw good gains and after doing that I was at my strongest and I destroyed our PT tests that we do (APFT, APRT, USMC CFT, Operator Ugly, 12 Mile Ruck March). Not to mention it allows me to really drill the basic lifts because a lot of the guys have no experience with these lifts at all.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

My question looking at this is "Do soldiers really need to commit the time to weight training beyond their linear progression gains?"

Running them through GSLP or SS until they can not make more gains on these programs certainly makes sense to me. These gains are so big, fast and easy everyone should take them.

If you are going to have them do met-cons as well then 70's Big is a better solution so they get enough rest to recover from the heavy lifting.

After that it seems to me more general CrossFit training like Mainsite programming would produce a better prepared soldier then continuing to build massive strength.

I think about CrossFit games competitors vs. the Westside Barbell lifters. The games competitors are going to make better soldiers then the Westside folks even though the Westside folks are way stronger.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

Yeah I agree that CF Games competitors would make better soldiers. I don't think that you can get to much strength. I look at being a soldier as being more like a football player that has to have endurance, more than an endurance guy that is strong if that makes any sense.

I know that the on the TM you can still do conditioning at least 3 times a week, although I don't know how feasible that is, because I have never done it. Also don't the CF games Competitors do quite a bit of dedicated strength work or generally come in with a lot of strength already.

I guess what the question is what would be a good way to continue getting stronger while increasing metcon. Eventually the linear gains will run out and you still want to continue making gains.