CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:
Five Fingers sole problem

I just thought I'd share:
The sole of my Vibram Five Fingers separated from the upper after only a few runs. I checked past posts here, and the suggestions were: Shoe Goo, Super Glue and Gorilla Glue. I knew from past experience that Shoe goo was way too weak and that Super Glue and Gorilla Glue were far too rigid for my purposes. After researching for a while on the internet, I found that what I needed was a very strong contact cement. After reading a variety of websites dealing with Five Fingers repair and barefoot running moccasin construction, I determined that DAP Weldwood Contact Cement was my best bet. I found it in the glue aisle at Home Depot.
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=47 (wfs)
Barge cement was another candidate, but reviews of that state that it isn't as strong as the DAP Weldwood since they altered their formula.
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...19.html?ref=42 (wfs)
I just glued it back together and am going to let it cure for a day before I run on it. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Aaron Cawley

Profile:
Re: Five Fingers sole problem

how long did you have them before this happened? i had a pair that got a hole in the upper after 6 weeks. the store i bought them from exchanged them for another pair. did you explore that option? though i doubt they would consider it after you try glueing them up.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Andy Kauth

Profile:

Pretty certain they would've exchanged 'em (they have a 90-day warranty as long as the problem isn't due to "excessive wear and tear," which a few runs is not, imo) ... In any event, do let us know how the glue works. With pics?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

I tried exchanging them, but they didn't have any left in stock and were not expecting a new shipment in for a long time. The entire purpose for my getting them was for off-season rugby training. Waiting for a replacement would have put my training way behind schedule.
I just tried them on. The glue looks like it adhered well. I have not been able to take them for a run though, as it's dark and raining. I will go out tomorrow and see how they hold up.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

Holding up like new (well, better than new, since it was defective). If you are going to use DAP Weldwood, be sure to follow the directions and also let it cure for at least a day before taking it out for a test run. Doing that, it appears that it's the best option for gluing your Five Finger sole back on.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Aaron Cawley

Profile:

or you could just have returned them. i had a seem split after 11 months of use. i called vibram and they said they would exchange them for me. i shipped them off and am waiting for my replacement pair.