CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Alex Coots

Profile:
Snatch catches = push-press?

So I was doing snatch catches today (my workouts trail by a day) when a guy stopped me and told me that it was dangerous to be doing push-presses behind my head.

I proceeded to tell him that I was doing snatch catches and he went on about how the rotator cuff is impinged in the movement and that I was likely going to hurt myself.

"Don't push-press from behind the head"

Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:
Re: Snatch catches = push-press?

Well when doin the snatch catch/snatch balance youre using the thrust of your hips and legs to generate the upward lift and you squat to get the weight above your head and lock out the arms. Sounds like your typical globo gym no it all. Lol
Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Reece Messerly

Profile:

With that being said. I'm sure ring dips, the transition for the muscle-up, any kind of press and hand-stands are dangerous. I would also fear the box jump, overhead squat, stone shouldering, and running trails in the woods (bears).

The reward greatly out-weighs the risk. As a Marine teaching CrossFit to fellow Marines, I am constantly told, by senior Marines that what we do is dangerous. LOL. We get shot at and overhead squats are dangerous? If it requires skill and people can't do it, its dangerous. Its fun to have the non-crossfitters cringe when they see what we do. Keep hitting it!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

When you're doing "snatch catches" you actually shouldn't be pressing the bar at all. You should just be dropping underneath it and catching it.

Also, he's right regarding presses behind the neck. I've seen both Jim Wendler and Mark Rippetoe talk about how pressing behind the neck is "not worth it" because it's not nearly as safe for the shoulders as pressing from the front.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Coots View Post
So I was doing snatch catches today (my workouts trail by a day) when a guy stopped me and told me that it was dangerous to be doing push-presses behind my head.

I proceeded to tell him that I was doing snatch catches and he went on about how the rotator cuff is impinged in the movement and that I was likely going to hurt myself.

"Don't push-press from behind the head"

Thoughts?
He's right. You shouldn't be doing a press or push press from behind the neck.

JM's post is on it. A snatch balance is not a push press and an OH squat combo. The bar should move much at the beginning. You are working on the transition from jump to catch
Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Push presses behind the neck are fine since the legs should propel the weight to above head level if you do it right.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Pulling and pressing is fine behind the neck if you have the mobility to do it. Many don't and will just irritate, aggravate, or injure themselves if they lack the mobility to do said movement.

The same goes with a lot of other stuff like dipping and pistols/single leg squats or bridging.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
Push presses behind the neck are fine since the legs should propel the weight to above head level if you do it right.
Agreed!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Josh Groves

Profile:

The snatch balance is fine. The issue comes when you go too heavy and begin to press the weight instead of catch it.

Also, when bringing the weight back down to your shoulders, drop a little and let your body help with the catch to take stress off the shoulder joint. If you subscribe to the CF Journal, Burgener goes through this in his video series with Owen Franks.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Personally, I don't see the value of pushing or pressing behind the neck unless you're training for a movement that needs it (e.g. snatch). And even then, you shouldn't be strict pressing.