CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #41
Frank Riley

Profile:
Re: Why is crossfit so expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
That's basically right. I certainly don't blame my ineffective gym experience on the gym, and I never made any sort of blanket suggestion/implication that doing CF (or any other effective program) in a globo can't/won't work for others.
Quote:
Which of my exact words implied this?
Well now that you've clarified it, none of them.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #42
Ian Staab

Profile:

I'm not sure what all the back and forth is about. The fees for Gold's, Bally's etc, is to access their equipment and facilities- the fees for a CrossFit affiliate is to access to the equipment, facilities and coaching. Some think the coaching is worth it, some don't. Compare the price of training at a Globo to your local affiliate, it's probably a lot less expensive at your affiliate...

No need to get all worked up over what motivates people - yeesh.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #43
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Ian,

I think it's it the bashing of "globo" gyms that get's everyone worked up. I train at one and I train fairly effectively. Every gym that I've been to had olympic bars, a squat cage, plate and place to do pull ups. SOme where more conducive to serious training than other but none made serious training beyond the reach of average individuals.

Hows the new place? As soon as I can train again I'll be down for a lift. Preferably on a day with a short metcon of a CFT.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #44
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I agree that the goal "should be to have good form sufficiently ingrained that you can feel when something is off and fix it on the fly," but we have some people that have KNOWN flaws in their movements. No matter how often we cue them, or have them work on things before or after WODs like "squat therapy" they don't stick with it long enough, and we still have to cue them. They know they are doing it, when they are doing, but aren't correcting it on their own. I know this because sometimes when they get cued they yell out, "I know" and then they laugh a little bit because they know we are cuing the same things with them over and over. They can fix it, during that WOD... but it is right back in the next one.
Also true. And even those who are ultimately fixable go through phases like this with any complex movement. I just object to the assumption that going solo necessarily means bad form, or that a trainer is *always* needed.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 01-26-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #45
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Riley View Post
I see someone who chooses not to seek out other people to work out with, chooses not to make a plan for himself, and chooses not to find ways to make it enjoyable. To me that's a lack of willpower.
Maybe we're arguing semantics, but to me calling it a lack of willpower is a bit harsh. It's a choice, not a character flaw.

Katherine

Old 01-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #46
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Mark - lay off the personal insults and name-calling.

You don't have to agree with Stu but you cannot behave this way and remain a participating member of the board.

Quote:
And now YOUR message is the biggest load of BS I've read in this thread.

It's an individual thing as to whether or not the cost delta is worth it. TO ME it is. Am I trying to tell everyone that it's worth it? No. Am I trying to claim that everyone should pay the difference and go to a box? No. Do I give a rat's azz about your opinion? Most definitely no.

Not everyone is you, Stu, and you're downright stupid if you think everyone's approach to Crossfit and fitness in general is going to be the same as yours.

- Mark

Closed Thread