CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
Hew Fung

Profile:
HSPU ROM in Nate

I did Nate yesterday and I find that the limiting factor in my performance is my HSPU endurance. The first few rounds are fine with full ROM, but I really start to struggle around round 5 or 6. I'm dedicated to improving my HSPU and I already work on it outside of the WODs. My question is whether I should sacrifice ROM in order to do more rounds of Nate and maintain the metcon aspects of the workout, or if I should really allow it to become a grinder and do all my HSPUs with full ROM but lose the metcon and the additional work on my MUs and KB swings. I expect that the answer here would normally be to do full ROM no matter what and that my results don't really "count" if I'm not doing full ROM, but I'm not competing with anyone except myself and like I said, I'm already working on doing more full ROM HSPUs beyond the rx'd WODs.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Michael Henry

Profile:
Re: HSPU ROM in Nate

Scale to pike push-ups. Me personally, when I scale a body weight movement, I like to scale on the set before I fail, not the set after. That helps me keep going.

And if you are resting like 10-20 seconds between doing singles, I don't think you'll lose the much 'metcon' of the workout.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Add a few full ROM HSPUs, handstand holds, or negative HSPUs to your warmup every day then do them modified during WODs till you build up the capacity for high numbers of them. As you pointed out, you don't want to lose the metcon effect of the WOD but doing one HSPU, resting 30 seconds, doing another, resting again, etc. Doing pike pushups or band assisted HSPUs will help build up the kind of strength you need for HSPU, or you can do HSPUs down to a depth of two Abmats, then as you get stronger go to a depth of one Abmat, then to the floor. The downside with that last method is that you don't develop strength for the full ROM though.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Hew Fung

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestions. I usually do 10 full ROM HSPUs as part of my warmup if it's not an overhead type of WOD and if I'm not too smoked I'll do 10 more after as well. My real problem is doing 13x4 of them as in Nate, with gradually deteriorating form that goes from head to floor at the beginning to just a few inches by the end. Maybe next time I'll try doing as many rounds as possible with full ROM and then switch to pikes when I start needing more than 10s or so of rest between singles.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Subbing down during a WOD can make you really sore. It would be better to find a suitable scaled progression and start using that from the getgo.

It's like when people(I) have to go from pullups to kipped pullups to band or body rows. It just becomes f'n horrible. I used to do this because I couldn't do kipped PU worth a damn. I sometimes would also have to do this if I could no longer do kipping PU because of where I was or something.