CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #211
Stephen Lewis Romer

Profile:

Re: fat doesn't make you fat?

I was a skinny Kid and I could as much as I wanted and anything I wanted until age 25. Then my long road of weight gain started about five pounds a year each and every year. I tried WW worked for a while, but then I couldn't starve myself any longer and the weight came back. A year ago I worked out for six months 2 hours five to six days a week didn't drop a pound, so I gave up.

Next I found Crossfit and found I was getting stronger and gaining endurance but I did not lose a pound. I think my exercise programs keeps me from being a lazy Joe. Even some of my friends have tried to talk me into walking instead of Crossfitting because I am too fat to work so hard.

17 days ago I started the paleo diet and lost 8 pounds so far without starving myself, not counting calories and eating as much as I want. So something about eating a diet with lower carbs is helping me lose weight so far. I won't call it low carb, but it is lower carbs.

So what do you make of my experience?
Old 09-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #212
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Lewis Romer View Post
I was a skinny Kid and I could as much as I wanted and anything I wanted until age 25. Then my long road of weight gain started about five pounds a year each and every year. I tried WW worked for a while, but then I couldn't starve myself any longer and the weight came back. A year ago I worked out for six months 2 hours five to six days a week didn't drop a pound, so I gave up.

Next I found Crossfit and found I was getting stronger and gaining endurance but I did not lose a pound. I think my exercise programs keeps me from being a lazy Joe. Even some of my friends have tried to talk me into walking instead of Crossfitting because I am too fat to work so hard.

17 days ago I started the paleo diet and lost 8 pounds so far without starving myself, not counting calories and eating as much as I want. So something about eating a diet with lower carbs is helping me lose weight so far. I won't call it low carb, but it is lower carbs.

The initial rapid weight loss experienced at the start of a low carb diet is just gylcogen and water. Any subsequent weight loss is a result of E-in being less than E-out.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #213
Rob Cornell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Lewis Romer View Post

Can you list two or three days of the sort/size of meals you normally ate before Paleo? Be honest!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #214
Stephen Lewis Romer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cornell View Post
Can you list two or three days of the sort/size of meals you normally ate before Paleo? Be honest!
When I am was trying to lose weight before paleo I was pretty boring eater.

Sometimes I would eat Breakfast and sometimes not.

A typical Breakfast would be three eggs, slices of whole wheat toast with no cal spray replacement butter. Sometimes it would be oatmeal with splenda.

Lunch would be a six inch whole wheat roll with roast beef and Swiss Cheese with lettuce, tomato, onion, hot pepper, sweet pepper and mustard.

Dinner would be either be 6 oz of lean beef, chicken or fish with a cup and half of pasta, rice or potatoes and about two cups some kind of non starchy vegetable with no cal spray replacement butter.

Oh yeah used a lot of ketchup at dinner and with my potates.

Late night snack 2 cups strawberries blended with 2 cups of 1% milk and splenda.

I find on a non-paleo diet I need to eat less than 1500 calories to lose weight and I was always hungry and on the paleo diet I am not counting calories and eating as much as I want and I am losing weight so far.

As I said earlier when I was younger than 25 I could eat anything I wanted and my waist was 31". Maybe all that sugar eating ruin my body's ability to handle a large amount of carbs?