CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-24-2003, 11:57 PM   #1
David Leys

Profile:  
http://www.msnbc.com/news/900136.asp
If the link doesn't work just type it in.

This story seems typical in the world of medical care and western medicine in America. Follow the paramyd diet and doctors and drug companys are getting rich. It seems that taxpayers would be putting a lot less into medicare if the FDA recomended a diet with more fat and protien and veggies for carbs. I know my grandma wouldnt be in a nursing home right now for diebeties and numberous other heart and colestoral problems if she knew earlyer how to really eat. The scary thing is when patients end up in a nursing home they are fed a more perfect paramyd diet that would then ensure some patients stay there for a longer time or for the rest of there life.:uhoh: They are given drugs for problems that would have otherwise had not been there if they were fed less carbs more protien and more fat. My grandma, who is a diebetic, has only but a small difference in the meals she is fed compared to other patients. Sugar free stuff, but not better carbs. For example, the only distintion between her meal and someone else's meal would be sugar free icecream instead of regular. They would just take the sugar out not the bad carbs.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
And that is exactly why I hate the medical institution. It's just like with many other things....electric cars, etc. The conglomerates will do everything in their power to keep the money lining their pockets rather than doing what is best for the consumers, environment, patients, etc.:angry:
Old 07-25-2003, 04:42 PM   #3
Kathy Glassman

Profile:  
You're right Dave, that was great!
Old 07-25-2003, 07:21 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

At the risk of appearing to defend the pharmaceutical industry (I work for them, indirectly), it's not precisely that they are "evil" . . . it's more like, they're in it for the money, first, foremost, and forever.

Pharmaceutical companies are in it for the profit, period. Anything that adds to their sales, or the price they can charge for their drugs, is good. Anything that detracts from their sales, is bad.

Because we have no price controls on pharmaceuticals in America (yet), we Americans pay the highest average drug prices in the world . . . essentially, Americans provide the profits that allow the drug industry to do the research to develop new products, & new therapies.

The rest of the industrialized world gets a free (or at least, cheaper) ride on the American consumer (new drugs keep coming, without them having to pay the "true" cost of development . . . which is profits). Those Europeans that actually understand this are laughing at us . . .

If you don't like this, tell your idiot Congressman to support the bill allowing "re-importation" of drugs from other companies (I feel crazy advising this, because my income ultimately depends on drug company profitability . . .). And do it this week, because that's when the bill is going to get voted on, and there's an staggering amount of lobbying and campaign donations flowing against this bill at the moment.

As far as the doctors go, in some ways, I blame them for the problem even more than the drug companies. (The drug companies never claimed to be interested in your health, but that IS the doctor's main job.)

The doctors simply get no training in nutrition, are too conservative, too afraid (and too busy and tired) to go out on a limb and try something different, and are entirely too dependent on drug company propaganda in making decisions. (I know whereof I speak on this one . . . my job, all day long, is to look at the statistical evidence of what works, and doesn't work, in pharmaceutical sales.)

Most docs I know already work a 60+ hour week. My own doctor, who I think is great, and is VERY open to alternative / herbal therapies, still works like a nutcase . . . when I see him, we get maybe 10 minutes total, and he will be going in to another patient's room for 5 minutes in the middle of my consultation . . . because managed care means that he HAS to see 60+ patients a day, in order to make enough money to pay his office staff. So, he has to be able to completely switch gears and focus on a new patient, their history, their "complaints", and their medical symptoms, every 6 or 7 minutes. In this environment, he's going to go read up on all the new medical developments every night? No way . . . he's going to hear what the drug reps tell him.

In reality, as the article points out, no one has figured out a way to make a profit from the success of the ketogenic diet in treating epilepsy . . . so no one has any incentive to do the controlled studies that would conclusively test whether it works, or for what kinds of patients it works, and what kinds it doesn't work.

Ideally, if we weren't quite such a capitalistic society, that research would be a job for the Federal government . . . but it's hard to justify doing studies that would benefit a few tens of thousands of epileptic kids, when there are tax cuts that have to be given out first.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Well said David!