CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-04-2003, 05:58 PM   #1
Travis John Mulroy

Profile:  
For about a week, I've been adjusting my diet to fit the paleo diet. I eat eggs, burger meat, tuna, broccolli, celery, mixed nuts and some fruit. I've stayed away from all grains and dairy. I have a couple questions for people eating this way.

First, do people doing the paleo diet ever "cheat". Do I have to commit to never having an ice cream sunday again, or is it alright to have sweats once or twice a month. The same question applies to alcohol. How strict must this diet be for it to be beneficial?

Also, how essential is giving up dairy? I like cheese, and it's a good source of protien and fat. I've never had problems with it. Should I still give it up?

Finally, after a week or so, I'm not as "regular' as I'd like to be. Is this normal when starting a paleo type diet? If so, how long will this last? Also, I look leaner in my upper body, but I seem to have developed a little belly under my navel. Perhaps from the "irregularity"? Is all this normal?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Travis-

This is my philosophy on this, so take it for what it is worth. Regarding "cheating"...I personally very rarely eat much that is non-paleo but I NEVER pass up some thing I want. Making any food off limits is IMO begging for problems. Many many people have serious emotional connections to food and making something off limits does nothing to help this situation. I think the notion of "self controll" is as foriegn a concept as one may find. Defenitely a development of agriculture! Incredible results will be obtained from 80-90% compliance. As time goes on you will likely desire many foods less and less.

Regularity- Your fiber intake should INCREASE on a paleo type plan. Salads, fiberous veggies, nuts, and fruit should put you around 40-60g of fiber per day. Ones intestinal flora can modify with a ditary change this could be happening and may throw things off for a time.

Improved leanness is certianly to be expected especially about the midsection. I have seen folks begin the leaning process and they swear they are gaining fat because of the morphological changes in their bodies. Get a measuring tape and keep track of your midsecstion perhaps once per week. IF you are gaing fat there let us know and we can do some tinkering. Midsection fat is and indicator of insulin resistance...not good!

Dairy-
If you work well on it go for it! Try to find locally produced family owned dairy products. The quality is superior and you are suporting local business instead of megafarming.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Robb
Old 08-05-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
Travis John Mulroy

Profile:  
Thank you! Your response was very helpful. I'll write back in a week or so to let you know how things are going.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
Dan John

Profile:

Try some of the ideas on our site
http://danjohn.org/diet