CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Will Jefferies

Profile:
Tire Flipping

So my partner has a hookup on tractor tires, but we have no idea what size to get. How much does a 5ft tire weigh? I know Rob Orlando talks about the weight of the tires he has, but he only refers to wt.??????
Old 08-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Kris Murphy

Profile:
Re: Tire Flipping

Our biggest tire is about that tall, and it's damn heavy. We use it for box jumps more than flipping, and I don't think any of our members can flip it more than 2 times. Keep in mind that they come in different widths too, narrower will be lighter.

BTW, most tire shops that deal with farmers will have used tires like this. I think we paid $10 ea for ours.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Will Jefferies

Profile:

That's good to know, but it is always good when other people are going to do the leg work, this guy is going to train at our box and weld our pull up cage for us too.

Damn heavy. Is that like a Pood? Just kidding, I told her we probably wouldn't need a tire that big. Rob said only a few people can flip those bigger tires so I don't know, but I also want to have it for sledge hammer tabata too and a thicker tire would be nice there I think.

Your a good guy man, you are always good for some helpful advice so thanks.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Kevin Steel

Profile:

look to get a 17.5x25 to a 20.5x25. we have a 17.5, it is light enough to be flipped multiple time during metcons and still keep going. about 300lb
Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Jefferies View Post
That's good to know, but it is always good when other people are going to do the leg work, this guy is going to train at our box and weld our pull up cage for us too.

Damn heavy. Is that like a Pood? Just kidding, I told her we probably wouldn't need a tire that big. Rob said only a few people can flip those bigger tires so I don't know, but I also want to have it for sledge hammer tabata too and a thicker tire would be nice there I think.

Your a good guy man, you are always good for some helpful advice so thanks.
Lol I'm thankful that a pood isn't the equivalent to this tire.

thanks for the compliment. I'm always willing to offer my insight (however irrelevant it may be) if it might make things a little easier for other affilliates.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Tish Traster

Profile:

We just went to our local tire store. Had some truck tires out back. Some are radials and they are very very heavy....I think the guy at the tire store said up to 600lbs. They gave me two for free, I just had to pick them up.

One is a 4ft tall tractor tire, non-radial weighs 300lbs...my ladies can solo flip that one relatively easily. Easy tread to grip...something to consider.

One is an Earthmover Construction tire, radial weighs about 470lbs...a bit smaller and more compact with a smoother tread. Men flip easily. Strong women can solo a few flips or team flip.

Here's a link for a visual: http://www.michelinearthmover.com/NA...oduct-info.jsp
Old 08-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
James Moran

Profile:

I work out at Hybrid with Rob. I'm not sure of the exact dimmensions of all of his tires (he's got like 4-5 of them, all different sizes), but he put car tires in the middle of some of them to make them heavier. It's always an option to get a lighter tire that will fill other needs (sledgehammer, box jumps, etc) and then fill it with car tires if you need more weight in it.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
Nate Aye

Profile:

We have a HUGE tire. We got it from a concrete company, we initially estimated it to be about 500lbs. But no one could even budge it. After a little research and some guessing we figure it to be about 700lbs. Thanks to Rob Orlando's main page vid, we learned how to actually do the tire flip correctly. Now we have a handful of people who can flip it, and whoever flips it gets a free t-shirt! I've given away 2.

Enough rambling, what I'm getting at it is, if you don't have a lot of equipment, a huge tire is great thing to have around. It looks like you mean business, it's like having 4-5 24 inch plyo boxes for free, great for practicing parkour (jumps, vaults, etc.) and it makes a good post WOD seat.

Also you can figure out the exact weights of the tires, I just googled the tire brand/size and found that it shipped at 805lbs brand new, it didn't get that much use/wear so we were generous with our guess of 700. Thats our tire story.

Cheers,

Nate
Old 08-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
David Zink

Profile:
Another Use for Really Big Tires

A buddy of mine who hauls scrap tires to a recycler offered me a couple of tires for free. I did not realize how big they were until we tried to flip one. It did not matter how many times I watched the tire flipping video or how many guys we put on it (you can't really get more than three on a side), they would not even budge. Then I looked up the specs: 1700 lbs!

Now, I have no doubt somebody (or team of somebodies) can flip these, but I did not want to deal with the possible carnage resulting from failed attempts (I have a picture in my mind of the nearly 1 ton tire lifted to vertical and then beginning to roll downhill). So, I created a new contraption we call the "monster".

It's sort of a 5 sided pull-up station with the pull-up bars adjustable up and down for height. There are attachment points for knotted ropes which provide assistance for the 34" high jump up (some athletes will just jump w/o rope). Once up, we can do pull-ups, rows, or in the case of the pictures in this link, knees to elbows. Anything we do "monster" includes the jump up prior to the exercise, then a jump down, every rep.

Eventually, I will find some flippable tires, but this has been a fun diversion.

wfs http://www.crossfitthinair.com/main/...ter-rules.html