CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-30-2003, 01:32 PM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Hello guys...

I have been reading about the Paleo Diet after seeing the wide appeal it enjoys amongts crossfit athletes.

My question is simple. How on earth am I expected to maintain adequatre energy and strenght levels without any brown rice, pasta or whole weat bread?

I really feel weaker with less complex carbs in my diet so I hope you can understand me being sceptical at working out full speed with few CC's! My current split is 55%-25%-20% (C-P-F)with near 1gr/1lb of protein per LBM at a total of 3900 cals tops per day.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Old 06-30-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

alexander,

i dont know the complex details about the paleo diet, for that you would have to ask rob. but i do know some basics. the reason that you feel weaker without eating grains is that your body can run on 2 type of foods. one is carbs and the other is protien/fats.(again the intellagent sounding words you will have to get from someone else.) most people because of our current life style burn mostly the carbs for energy, which works but is not the most effective. to be the most effective and use your body like it was meant to be used you have to switch from carbs to fats and protien. however there is some chemical differance in what you need absurbe the differant kinds of energy. so excpect to feel run down and tired for i think about a week or two. athelets call this "hitting the wall" but after some time your body will make the switch and your energy will go back up. ok ya so that is the really basic idea behind why you feel bad, although hopefully someone will jump in and give you the sciantific terms. good luck

shane
Old 07-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Shane-

You are right on IMO.

Alexander-

Theories aside your personal expereince is ultimately the most important thing. That said it is difficult to imagine you not performing better on closer to a 40/30/30 program swapping out the grains for more veggies and low glycemic load fruit. You should be able to achieve tighter insulin control, increase your antioxidant intake, and encourage your body to become more efficient with fat as a fuel source, even in anaerobic situations. You may require a transition period of several weeks but the science and anecdotal information all point that way.

Let us know how things go.
Robb