CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-09-2003, 01:58 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
to start i'd just liek to say that i know where a lot of you stand on protein powders...you don't really like/endorse them. but as a student who also works, takes an EMT class, and volunteers for the local ambulance squad (and does the WOD) it's the only way i can guarantee that i get enough protein everyday.

with that said, what brands do you recommend? i have been using myoplex for a while, but recently switched because each myoplex shake is prepackaged and contains about 6 protein blocks (zone), and according to dr. sears, that much protein in one sitting can trigger an overproduction of insulin. i recently started using metrx powder because it's loose (not in individual packs, so i can use what i need.

any thoughts/opinions/recommendations would be encouraged!

also, i have another question. i am still get hungry shortly after eating smaller meals more often throught the day. could the myoplex shakes be the culprit since the large amount of protein is triggering the excess insulin? i usualy have 2 shakes a day, and get the rest of the protein from beef, chicken, and occasionally fish and eggs.

scott
Old 06-09-2003, 10:50 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Bioplex

they are out of washington. you can order it from www.supersup.com ( a site for seattle super supplements) Go with the non-sucralose variety...it will give you the $hits if consumed in any quantity. Dilute the powder pretty well )12oz/serving) and chew EVERY mouthfull. this will greatly enhance digestion and reduce....ah, geseousness.

Protein powders do digest much faster than food....it could be the culprit. Mosty artificail sweetners can cause an insulin response themselves.

Bon Apetite!
Robb
Old 06-10-2003, 12:21 AM   #3
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

scot,

i dont know much about protein powders, except that they are really expinsive, my dad and i used some which we got for free from a friend and noticed that the price was way out of our limit if we wanted to continue to use them. after some research we found that mostly the protein powder ( ours anyway) had less protein then standerd powderd milk. also the vitaimins in powdered milk were higher then in the protein powder, the only down side was that the powdered milk had i think like twice as much fat as the protein powder. maybe we just had bad protein powder or something, but it might be worth looking in the powdered milk section of your local stores to see if you cant save a few buck.

shane
Old 06-10-2003, 03:38 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Scott:

I've used a formula called "Perfect Protein" by UniPro. It's a whey-based protein, very low sugar, no artificial sweeteners. It's "ok" to my taste (nothing great). Frankly, Myoplex or MetRx taste better (to me), but they are significantly more expensive and loaded with other supplements (e.g., vitamins) that I don't need.

Truthfully, although I used to use protein powders a lot, I don't much anymore. Mostly, I just eat a LOT of cottage cheese, and/or cans of tuna, for supplemental protein beyond my meals . . . but I also have a desk job, which limits how much I need (and makes it easier to do).

Good luck,
Dave
Old 06-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #5
Scott Shafer

Profile:
Check out http://www.allthewhey.com
Good prices and good quality.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:48 AM   #6
tom hunter

Profile:  
Myoplex is a meal replacement that contains carbs and fats with the protein. What you want is just a protein supplement without the carbs.
Not that meal replacements are bad, but they are better to use either as a breakfast meal or as a postworkout meal. If you have problems with gas or bloating try using a pure Whey Isolate, not concentrate or hydrosolate. Isolates have no lactose or carbs. a good brand is Natures Best Zero Carb Isopure. The other alternative is a blended protein containing micellar casein and whey. In that case you could try Prolabs Lean Mass Matrix
Protein Component, Biotests Low Carb Grow, or an protein made by Beverly Int. If you have digestion problems from too much protein i.e. gas/bloating, try taking some digestive enzymes. Also look into www.proteinfactory.com or www.proteincustomizer.com