CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-09-2003, 09:04 AM   #1
Misty York

Profile:  
I just bought Enter the Zone a few days ago. I have tried Atkins but there is no way I could stick to that so I am trying this. I have already learned so much from the book but I am having a hard time finding enough protein sources to put in my diet. I love tuna but I don't want to eat it for every snack or meal. What else should I eat? I also read somewhere that you shouldn't eat fruit that often. Is that true? I eat fruit with almost every meal (usually kiwi, strawberries, grapes, oranges, or apples). Should I stop eating so much fruit? I am in the military and live in the barracks so cooking is not really an option for me. I do have a Forman grill and a vegetable steamer so that helps a little. Any help you can give would be really, really appreciated. Thank you.

Misty
Old 07-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Misty-

Good sources of protein include:

-Range-fed beef
-Eggs (preferably from non-caged vegetarian fed chickens)
-Fatty fish (such as salmon and sardines - make sure the sardines are packed in sardine oil (best), water, or olive oil)
-Pork
-Chicken
-Turkey
-Nuts (almonds, brazil, pecans)

This is not a complete list, but does give an idea where most of the protein could be coming from. As far as the fruit is concerned, I think I read in one of Robb Wolf's old posts that fruit does not digest well with other foods. I usually try to get my carbs at my main meals from leafy green vegetables. When you do eat fruit, try to stick with berries - check out The Protein Power Lifeplan by Doctors Michael and Mary Eades for an excellent recipe called Paleolithic Punch (it's delicious and has a good amount of nutritive value to boot). I may not be sure about this, but I think I remember somebody saying that unless you have very low levels of bodyfat that the Zones recommendations for carb intake may be to high (if someone could clarify/reinforce this for me, I would appreciate it). Anyway, I hope some of this was helpful.

-Ryan

BTW- probably about 90-95% of what I posted above was learned simply by reading posts on this message board or materials that I was referred to by prominent members of this message board. Just goes to show what a valuable resource it is. Thanks to all who contribute!

Old 07-09-2003, 10:31 AM   #3
Misty York

Profile:  
Thank you very much. I am carb addict so if I at least cut my carbs down to what the zone says I think it will help me out. Looking at me you wouldn't think I should be worried about weight but when I step on that scale it scares me!! I'm not sure what my body fat is (although I'm sure it's pretty high). I have no idea where I hide my fat!!! I am going to the gym at lunch to get measured so I will have a better idea what to work on. After that I will probably being asking a lot more questions!! Again, thank you.

Misty
Old 07-09-2003, 11:24 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
No problem, Misty. One more piece of advice (if I may). Don't pay to much attention to what the scale says. If you look like a person who doesn't need to worry about their weight yet you weigh in heavy, then I would guess that (1) your body fat is probably lower than average and (2) you're not hiding excess fat anywhere - you probably have more muscle than average. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. A lot of the guidelines that doctors have used in the past for determining obesity was based off information obtained from sedentary individuals, not athletes, who generally will not 'fit' nicely into those charts.

Ryan
Old 07-09-2003, 02:14 PM   #5
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Ryan, Misty,

Be careful with listing nuts as a protein source. We generally put them in the fat category. The proteins that are in nuts (and legumes) is a fiberous protein and does not give the glucagon response that animal proteins give. We are looking for that glucagon response in the proteins. It is essencial for muscle development and as a counter-regulatory hormone to insulin.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:31 AM   #6
Misty York

Profile:  
This morning for breakfast I had 4 hard boiled egg whites (my 2 protein), an orange (my carbs), and a few peanuts for my fat. Does that sound good? Also yesterday I got some protein powder. I got Body Tech Whey Protein. Is that good? I don't plan on using the powder as a big source of protein, probably only for snacks when I don't want tuna or anything like that. Also I did my body fat and I am 30% (that's soooo bad) so I have a lot of work to go. I just have no idea where the fat is!!! Like I said before it is hiding somewhere!!!

Misty
Old 07-10-2003, 08:44 AM   #7
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Misty,
That sounds pretty good. One thing to note: when you eat a protein that is fat free (egg whites), you should double your fat blocks - so a few more nuts.

Also don't be afraid of egg yolks they are good for you!

How tall are you Misty? Are you working out?

The only thing you want to look out for in your Protein Powder is any carboydrate. If it is pure protein, that is fine. If there are carbs in it, you need to count these in your total carb intake.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:59 AM   #8
Misty York

Profile:  
Yes, this protein has 3g of carbs. I am only 5'1. I work out moderatley but I think I put back all the calories I work off!! I use to drink A LOT of coke. I cheated about 7 weeks ago and had liposuction, so this is the reason for the change. I guess I could have changed and not had the surgery but oh well, I am very happy I had it. I no longer drink soda but I started drinking sweet tea (not any better). I am completely cutting out the tea now. My workout right now is a 2-3 mile run everyday at lunch and then some pilates or weight lifting at night.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:49 AM   #9
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Stick with The Zone stricktly for a while and you will see amazing results. Your sweet tooth will subside as well.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:45 PM   #10
Misty York

Profile:  
I can tell today that I am not as tired as I normally am but I am STARVING!!!