CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-26-2002, 03:47 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
have a few questions about these two supplements. i've been reading good things about them and am considering taking them because of my bad knees. my questions are:

what should i look for when buying these supplements since they're not regulated by the fda?

what amounts should i take to make it effective?

how often should i take it? should it be taken al at once each day, or spaced out throught the day?

also, what is msm? i see either glucosamine with chondroitin, or clucosamine with msm, and wanted to know the differences between both.

thanks!
Old 12-26-2002, 05:42 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hi Scott-

Since I am not a doctor and can not recomend this stuff I will simply tell you what I did :-)

After reviewing the studies glucosamine seems to have a bit more analgesic/rehabilatative effects. It is also much less expensive so if money is an issue go with straight glucosamine. If maximizing results is paramount do the combo. A total of 1.5-2.0 g/day(that is 1.5g glu and 1.5g cho) divided into three doses is pretty standard. One can obtain good quality bulk powder forms of these items through Frontier...any healthfood store should be able to order it for you (this is also the cheapest way to go...1/4 tsp = 1 gm.)
Jarrow Formulas is excellent quality and usually a good price. You can order direct from them or again healthfood stores usually stock them. If they do not they should.

Buy free range chicken. Eat the chicken, boil the bones and eat as much of the articular (joint) tissue and bone as you can and make soup out of the broth. All of this stuff is loaded with glucosamine/chondroitin and other goodies. Reconstructed huntergatherer diets seem to have provided 1.5-4g per day....kinda makes sense.

Give it time. This is not a quick fix. Three months and you will say to yourself "hmm...my knees have not hurt in a while". For more imediate releif try Zyflamend by New Chapter. it is a reversable Coc 2 inhibitor...simply incredible stuff. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Robb
Old 12-27-2002, 02:02 PM   #3
Scott Parker

Profile:
thank you very much for the info!