CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-07-2002, 11:28 PM   #1
Tyler Hass

Profile:
There is no debating the fact that sleep is an important component of any training program. Unfortunately, this is the one area that I am severely lacking in. I have probably had 10 nights of zero sleep in the last month. My endurance has been steadily declining and I even had pneumonia. These are all signs of under-recovery (similar in principle to overtraining). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to try. I'm open to anything: supplements, exercises, meditation techniques and whatever works.
I have already blacked out my room and I occasionally drink a tea called Sleepytime. It will be difficult to eat a clean diet, because I eat whatever the frat chef cooks.
Let me know if there is anything else I should know about.

ps. The new issue of Girevik Magazine is out, www.girevikmagazine.com.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:17 PM   #2
Dan John

Profile:

I take melatonin at night. I'm not advising you to do it, no doctor here, but it sure helps me. Sound is a killer, too. I remember dorm life! Why don't you also invest in those foam ear plugs and try to see if you have some success there.

Sleep is the key to fat loss, in my mind. If you sleep enough, you can low carb, exercise with more intensity...the whole thing.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:33 AM   #3
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Tyler,
It would be important to know what exactly your activities have been over the last month or so, as well as an acurate accounting of your diet in order to help you with your problem.

Let us know your regime so that we can help you get some sleep!

Old 12-14-2002, 10:49 PM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Okay, here it goes:
My activity level dropped off dramatically following hamstring pull and then pneumonia.
My diet is admittedly awful because I live in a fraternity. It includes a lot of processed foods and it's hard to avoid bread and other high GI carb foods. The meat supply is okay, but fruit and veggies are hard to come by.
I get a lot of my calories from yogurt and protein shakes. My usual protein shake consists of Chocolate Whey protein powder, green drink powder, coconut milk (1/2 can) and 400-600 calories of heavy whipping cream. In total, about 1100 calories. Quite a gut bomb!
Unlike most frat guys, I do not drink on even a monthly basis, but I do not sleep if I do drink.
My house is pretty noisy and distracting at all hours. I wear earplugs some nights.
One thing I have cut out is high-intensity exercise after 11pm. My typical bedtime is 2:30am and wake up at 9:30. However, I rarely fall asleep immediately, so I am usually up for a few hours after that. For some reason, I just can't quiet down my brain. I always have something on my mind. School has been pretty stressful and very, very boring and unfulfilling.
Let me know if you need any other information that will be helpful. I will be out of school in a week, so I will be able to exercise some control over my life and add changes that you reccomend. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 AM   #5
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:
If you are still having your sleep problem, I recommend yoga. BKS Iyengar has a book "Yoga for Holistic Health" or something like that. It has a lengthy section where different series of poses are prescribed for various ailments. It worked for me. I do (at least) headstand, shoulderstand, and a forward bend every night and sleep very well (when my babies don't wake me), even though I have a high stress job. BTW, I don't suggest living in a frat house if you want consistent sleep...something to think about for next year.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:04 PM   #6
Robert tappan

Profile:  
Tyler,

The info above is good: melatonin and ear plugs. Try some cal/mag before bed too. Sleepytime tea might not be strong enough--might be best to go for straight pill/cap form of valerian, or another relaxing herb.

I wouldn't go to Dr. Weil for conditioning info, but I think your problem is where he's good. Here's a section on Insomnia:
http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.html-command=healthConditionDetail-article Type=Condition-pt=Condition-articleId=24

Also Dr. Weil has a nice breathing exercise called the "relaxing breath" or something that works nicely for stress and sleep. I can't find it at the moment as his site seems to have crashed, but just do a search for it there.

Tai Chi/Chi Gong/Pranayama training and practice might help too.

And get out of that frat house!

~HG
Old 01-22-2003, 10:10 AM   #7
sean hernandez mccumiskey

Profile:

how many hours of sleep should get a night?
at the moment i get aruond 7-9 hours and some times 6, but never more.

sean
Old 01-22-2003, 10:30 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Check out the book Lights Out:Sleep, Sugar and Survival.

The real key beyond even sleep is darkness as we need a period of darkness of abbout 9.5hrs to facilitate many hormonal changes. To the degree I do this my performance and recovery are dramaticly enhanced. Read Dan Johns experiment with sleep on his site.
Robb
Old 01-22-2003, 12:26 PM   #9
sean hernandez mccumiskey

Profile:

Thanks again Robb for another informed reply. is that you in the demonstration videos for the push kick lunge?
Old 01-22-2003, 01:06 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Yep, that is me!