CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
Aaron Graham

Profile:
Hi

Having some real trouble fixing a guys squat, he can't seem to keep on his heels, he rounds his back, his head travels forward when he squats

Ive tried to get him driving off his heels, so much so that i actually stood on the back of them to keep them down, minute i let go his heels come up, had him do goblet squats and he plummeted to the bottom with no control, didn't fix his arch either

In fact that happens a lot he plummets to the bottom and bounces up, falls forward a lot too.

Had him in the squat rack with the bar set so he could rest his hands against it but he still plummets with no control, had him trying to slowly go down but he can't do it, he has trained with me a few times with not much progression if any, starting to think its me?

Any help guys?

Thanks

Aaron
Old 12-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Hi Aaron

You could try getting him to squat infront of a wall so that you can align him or even just having him sit back into a chair can help

The goblet squat should also get you near where you want him although you may still need to make some adjustments.

Leon.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
Hey Aaron,

It is highly unlikely that it is you.

I have clients that just are sooooo unfit and out of tune with their body that they have no clue how to control it until I physically manipulate them into position over and over again - a real pain in the .

Wall sqautting is cool

Box squatting is cool

Box squatting whilst keeping arms as high above head as possible helps the arch

Plates under toes helps

Check out some of Dan Johns stuff - helps loads
Old 12-22-2006, 05:39 AM   #4
Joe Celso

Profile:
you may want to try simply working on negatives first. if this person is really that weak or out of control, the progression for building strength is eccentric - static - concentric.

arms out, big chest, heels down - have him slowly sit back to a box that he can reach under control (no plopping). help him up and repeat. once he's got that down - then work on pausing/holding at various points on the way down. once he can hold JUST above the box, he should be able to rise out of it with a strong/controlled/proper movement. Now lower the box 3" and start all over.

back extensions / good mornings (done strictly even if the ROM is limited at first) should also help develop the required strength/control.

good luck! - actually, if you try it, let me know how it works! it worked for me with hand-stand push-ups and for a client's dips... but I've never tried it with a squat.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:48 AM   #5
Joe Celso

Profile:
oh - make sure he's focusing on his hip flexors too. it's way too easy to forget (may solve his issue).

another thing i might try for myself (cause i can't squat like the girl from thursday's WOD - though i'm getting closer)... i'm gonna hang from a bar and raise my legs/@$$/feet into a squated position (a "bizzaro OHS" if you will). my theory is the "muscle memory" will help me engage my flexors better during a squat and yield less forward inclanation of the torso. it might be a stupid idea - but i'm gonna give it a shot anyways.