CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
I have a question for all you heavy lifters. When I FS I typically have my feet shoulder width (not much different than the pic of Eva). When I BS on ME days I adjust my stance so its wider than shoulder width. It's not a PLing or sumo stance but it is significantly wider than my FS stance. I've found that I'm much more stable with this stance and I can go heavier, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should move my feet in more and work on a more narrow stance next time I BS. Is there a standard that some of you follow?

Any suggestions? Am I over analyzing this?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I'm not a particularly heavy lifter...but my stance is fairly narrow. I think it works a bit better when I start doing Oly stuff.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
stef bradford

Profile:  
When I BS on ME days I adjust my stance so its wider than shoulder width. It's not a PLing or sumo stance but it is significantly wider than my FS stance.

It sounds like you are using a moderate, non-specialized stance which is what most people should use most all of the time. BS stances are typically wider than FS stances, and how much depends on factors such as flexibility and body proportions. If you're getting depth and effectively driving your hips out of the bottom, your stance is prolly just fine. You can experiment with different positions and see how this changes the movement. Whatever you do, don't try to make your back squats move up like your front squats-- get the hip drive, forward lean into them.

s.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:13 AM   #4
Aimee Anaya

Profile:
I agree with Stef in regards to your flexibility. You want to ensure that you are going below parallel, and getting into that deep squat position. I think that you should put your feet where they feel comfortable, and where you feel you can be the most explosive when catching the bounce at the bottom. I feel that you are most powerful when your feet are below your hips, and you can drive up fast and strong. My stance is exactly the same when I front squat and when I back squat. I was inrigued to learn this weekend at the crossfit seminar that power lifters use a much wider stance than Oly lifters (I am not exactly sure how to explain the "why", a powerlifter will have to pipe in for that one), so perhaps that stance may be one that works better for you...
Old 05-15-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
Powerlifters typically use a much wider stance because it limits the distance the bar has to travel in order to meet the required parallel depth. They also typically put the bar lower on their back and lean forward a bit more in a deliberate attempt to transfer more of the load to the posterior kinetic chain (hamstrings, glutes, low back).
Old 05-15-2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Travis Rieber

Profile:
We can bounce at the bottom?!?! Honest question, is it standard to bounce out of the bottom of a squat or is that cheating, like bouncing the bar off your chest in bench press? I know there are probably a few views on this. Up until now I've inserted a "dramatic pause" at the bottom of my squat just to make sure I don't bounce.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
stef bradford

Profile:  
We can bounce at the bottom?!?!

There is no pause in a standard squat. Part of doing it right is to rebound up using the stretched hamstrings and hip drive. Same idea as for a standing vertical jump or the dip and drive in a jerk, but with a deeper point of reversal.

Note that "bounce" is NOT equivalent to bottoming out the hips' and knees' range of motion with loose hamstrings. Not a good idea to stop the descent and begin the reversal with your connective tissue.

The good squat bounce is the equivalent of a touch and go bench. All of the stretch reflex benefits and none of the bruises. A paused squat, as you've been working with, has its place in training, but is not the default squat. Compare to a paused bench (of course, unlike a competition squat, a pause is part of a competition bench) for training purposes.

Powerlifters typically use a much wider stance because it limits the distance the bar has to travel in order to meet the required parallel depth.

In addition, the PL squat has become wider and more specialized to take advantage of powerlifting gear. A suited squat is very very different from a general purpose athletic training squat or an OL-type squat.

s.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
Good reponses everyone. I think I got the answer I was looking for. The bounce is another interesting thing. I often pause at the bottom because I want to get used to holding the weight in the bottom position and work on exploding out of the hole. My biggest problem during deep squats seems to happen right at the point where I try to ascend beyond parallel. I may have to start focusing on a slight bounce now that it is acceptable.