CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #31
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: What are the 9 Foundational Movements?

George,
If I can do a clean w/o using my arms except as a guide, why not an SDLHP? This is irrelevant though, I didn't decide the SDLHP would be a foundational movement, Coach did. I haven't read Greg E's book, but I know I was taught to clean using SDLHPs as a step
Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #32
John C. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I've yet to see anyone clean anything with legs that wide out (the drag a body analogy is poor too, nobody has a stance that wide to pull someone, and the pull is done with an isometric hold of the ankles/around the person's body and is primarily leg driven against the ground, there is no need to pull them beyond that point). The starting position of a clean and a Rip deadlift aren't even the same (though I'm sure some will argue they are...but they aren't, read pg 83 of Olympic Weightlifting, has me convinced).
Who said anything about dragging a body? If you are dragging a body, chances are you are still in the fire fight and should be close to the deck. I am talking about a fireman's carry and how you get there (I.E. wide stance straddling buddy's legs, arms narrow grabbing his gear, hips to extension). Besides, I gave other examples too, lawn and garden stuff. And the SDHP is no more a pull with the arms then is the "High and Outside" portion of the Burgener Warm Up. I respect the **** out of Greg Everett and love his stuff. I wouldn't presume that just because he doesn't do something means that it shouldn't be done.

On top of all of that, didn't I see that you were in the Air Force George? What would you know about dragging bodies out side of a tailhook like situation (I know that was Navy, so don't waste you're time, I was being sarcastic).

Last edited by John C. Brown : 10-10-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Finished thought
Old 10-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #33
John Frazer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Brown View Post

Yes, Coach B teaches the Snatch first. He has huge success with his progression and like CF has taken to teaching Athletes and non athletes alike. His methods are very simple (as opposed to some). Jump! Land in an Overhead Squat! Or Front Squat for the Clean.
Dan John taught much the same way when he came to Crossfit DC for a short seminar a few years ago. I think we spent about 5 minutes on the clean: "If you can snatch, you can clean."
Old 10-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #34
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
The SDHP is not a shoulder exercise, it IS NOT an upright row. The end position is the same but hip extension drives the weight up in SDLHP.
This is what I was thinking. When you do the SDHP you end up in the same position as the upright row, but you can FEEL that the effort is coming from the hips and shrug, not the delts.

I am keenly aware of this issue right now because my weightlifting coach has been having me do the Burgener warm-ups over and over and over and over. (I lack coordination and neuromuscular facillitation, ie I'm clumsy) I have found that when the weight is light and I am getting fatigued, I will sometimes upright row instead of high pull to compensate and avoid whacking myself in the chin. But, as the bar gets heavier and my shoulders are fatigued, that bar is ONLY coming up from the power of the triple extension and shrug, there's no shoulder action at all. The end position is the same, it looks the same, but it is definitely not the same.

A similar comparison would be the basic kettlebell swing. With a light weight, someone could engage their back and shoulder muscles to produce the same movement with a hip dip mainly for show. However, this movement when done correctly, is primarily powered by the hip extension. If you use heavy weight and primarily use your upper back and shoulder muscles to bring the weight up, you'll hurt yourself, a lot.