CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
Kevin King

Profile:
Re: Antibiotics & sport

Strongly seems like a rather strong statement. According to everything I have read, the risk is most notable in the elderly and those taking systemic steroids.

I've never put folks on restriction, nor have I known it to be a significant problem in our very athletic population I serve (active duty Army unit).

That said, amoxicillin is about as an innocuous drug as you can find. Of course, any change in your health should be discussed with your healthcare provider and together you should decide if a modification in your exercise program should be made.

-- Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Yes, there is a serious issue with fluoroquinolone antibiotics - ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, others. They are strongly linked to tendon rupture.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #12
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Antibiotics & sport

"Fluoroquinolone use is associated with increased risk of Achilles tendon rupture, and that increase is "true across the board for exposure to any fluoroquinolone," according to results of nested case-control study reported last week at the 41st annual meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of America....found that the elevation in risk was on the order of 20% to 30%...Animal studies demonstrated that "the fluoroquinolone antibiotics weaken tendons," Dr. Seeger said. Case reports show that this increased risk also occurs in humans ..."

I would certainly put Crossfitters in the category of those at increased risk of tendon ruptures relative to the general population. I ruptured my Achilles in April of 2000 and that is an injury I would not wish upon anyone. The rate of occurence will still be low, but one case would bad enough.

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/23C5CA.htm