CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #81
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Dave,

Notwithstanding the "Are you some kind of clown? What is your problem?..." language above, which was uncalled for ( and for which, IMO, you ought to apologize, ) I'd still appreciate a quality response to the "negative" aspects of LoA, which I do not recall being addressed in The Secret, and which I referred to in my post above. ( ie; birh defects, tsunami victims, etc.)

In the alternative, perhaps you could explain in a constructive manner how my questions were off topic.

All the best to you !
Old 01-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #82
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Dave, I think the problem is you are viewing the responses you don't agree with as interruptions, while everyone else is accepting them as differences of opinions. Let's not forget this is a public message board. Anyone and everyone can post whatever they want as long as it doesn't break Lynn's rules.
You keep telling people to get lost if their post doesn't get your approval...unfortunately it doesn't work that way on a public forum. If you don't like what somebody says just ignore it. If the post is offensive or disrespectful let Lynne the moderator be the judge. She can do here job just fine without your help.

Honestly, the last thing we need or want here is a 'Thread Nazi' which you are adamantly pursuing.

Haven't you ever heard of the saying..."opinions are like armpits, everyone has them and they all stink." Not a difficult concept to grasp.

(Message edited by steve_liberati on January 19, 2007)
Old 01-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #83
Bill Russell

Profile:
I've got 5 bucks that Lynne has her finger on the 'send to Pukie's Bucket" button right about now.:gunsmilie:
Old 01-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #84
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
"I scanned the preceding (including archived,)posts in this thread, but did not read every word, so if this has been addressed, please excuse me. ( But I don't think it has.)"
If you scanned the posts, you must have seen the pattern developing here of individuals ignoring the members that wanted to discuss the specific topic of the video "The Secret". Since you never really referenced the video. You just used the generic term LOA and never said you saw the video. How are we supposed to know you are here to discuss our chosen topic "The Secret" and not continue the pattern? You obviously have strong feelings for PMA. How does that relate to the specific topic? Or are you simply saying you think it's better then LOA or the video? Ed, I'll be honest. I don't think you saw the video. I don't think you came here to discuss the video. I think you came here to have a discussion about LAO vs PMA. You enter into the fray, ask a series of very complex questions, that you, IMHO think neutralizes LOA and disappear. That is a bit theatrical. Why don't you share with us some of the moments in "The Secret" you find troubling and lets talk about those specific moments?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #85
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Yep, we have a "Thread Nazi" folks. And its not Lynne.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #86
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Steve,
What opinions? They have not seen the video. Why are they even posting here? Why would Lynne close a thread because some members can't stop posting unrelated material? Why not just ask them to stop and leave the members who have seen the video or are watching the video alone? That seems reasonable.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #87
Paul Findley

Profile:
Could someone loan me their copy of the DVD? I will quickly return it, or pass it forward.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #88
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Dave,

I find it laughable that you "don't believe me". I am a 47 y.o, husband, father and professional. I come here for enrichment, not to be a cyber-jerk. I am interested in building up, not tearing down. Granted, you don't know me, but I am not an internet tough guy. I'm just a man seeking to go through life in the best way I can.

I watched the video approx. 2 mos ago. I also watched Larry King interview the people on the video. I don't recall specific scenes that I found objectionable. Rather, my questions concern what I thought was not (or at least not adequately,) addressed. That is, the "negative" issues I've now mentioned repeatedly. ( I've also looked at other material in this subject area, so there might be overlap in my thinking, but since when is forum etiquette so harsh that the discussion must be limited to very tight parameters or the dissenting, or simply thread-expanding, poster is attacked? )

As far as my posts being on point for your thread, with respect to (The Secret's) use with athlete's, might such a group not have the very same concerns that I voiced ? ( Hey, I'm an athlete and I have those concerns; There's your proof. ) I think my questions are right on point to your initial inquiry.

With respect to PMA, I only used that term because, in my understanding of this topic, when PMA is applied, LoA will operate to attract, or manifest, positive outcomes ? PLEASE tell me if that is wrong, and if so, how.

Regarding: Seeking to neutralize, intending to disappear and being theatrical; Wrong, wrong and wrong ! I asked sincerely. I did not go away. I am still willing to try and understand the mysterious (to me) parts of this LoA (The Secret) presentation, despite your apparent hostility.

So, I'm open to and interested in hearing what you have to say substantively. (I find it unsatisfying that you seek to dismiss the substance of my concerns by merely saying I've raised complex questions.)

Further, now that I've explained myself, I trust we can proceed in a civil manner. If you are not able to say, "Hey, sorry I misunderstood" or, "I was having a bad moment, sorry I flew off the handle" or "I regret my choice of words, I had strong feelings and didn't put enough care into what I was writing and I'm sorry," or whatever such appropriate expression works for you, then IMO, you are being rude.

What are you seeking to attract ?

All the best to you !
Old 01-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #89
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Like Detective Columbo, "one more thing..."

I understand you ONLY wanted people to discuss The Secret (video). Still, for example, if someone asks for reviews of the book, The Paleo Diet, and then, within the thread, someone else says, "I don't believe a paleolithic style diet, (the approach,not specifically the book,)is any good, are you suggesting that is unacceptably off topic and should be the subject of name calling ?

Further, you seem to think PMA & LoA are either/or. I see them as consistent, not mutually exclusive. Again,

All the best to you !
Old 01-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #90
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
"but since when is forum etiquette so harsh that the discussion must be limited to very tight parameters or the dissenting, or simply thread-expanding, poster is attacked? ) "

Ed, lets just stop. If you take the time to read this entire thread, you'll see exactly what happened. I'm not the only member that pointed it out. I just happen to have started the thread.

I think we can agree the "universe" is extremely complex and probably has "laws" that it operates by. There may be many ways to use these laws. Like LOA or PMA. No one knows for sure. Language is imperfect and ultimately just points us in a general direction. We have to jump and experience it. When disease strikes is it LOA? I think it's possible. Even a child. Why? Because I think we are ultimately bigger then our individual consciousness. Perhaps we are connected. Which means we can only manipulate some of the LOA. Like Crossfit, many people try LOA and see results. Can they go into a lad and prove them? No. We do know our brains send out a frequency. Where does it go? Why do we send a signal? Who or what receives it? Why do we currently only use a fraction of our brain? I think we are only scratching the surface of LOA. The future may provide us with more answers about war, murder, etc. I suspect we are stuck in a collective consciousness. That's why some monks will spend their life meditating in a cave. They believe they are influencing "our" LOA. What do you think? and I'm sorry for being a jerk. I just think this stuff is important and I was anticipating a much different experience here. Lets make sure we try to stick close to "The Secret" or we will be off to Mars quickly.