CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Travis Layman

Profile:
Great ideas. I have been trying to get this pullup bar done but I am glad I haven't because I would have missed applying some of these ideas.

Finally got some pipe from Lowes. Wondering how far the pipe should screw down into the fittings. Not sure the store cut/threaded ends work as good as the factory threaded ends.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
Travis Loest

Profile:
Travis,
As long as you can get 3-4 threads to join you should be good. I also use a tape that for some reason the name escapes me at the moment. really thin, not sticky, run it around the threads and screw everything together. I haven't had any problems with mine yet.

Gordon,
I don't want to cut the sheet rock to get between my truses like that. I've got plenty of space as I've got my setup. My legs are usually bent anyway so I don't really notice the height. It's also perfect for jumping pull-ups. I just lay down a 45# bumper and go to town.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
Brendan C. Cook

Profile:
Travis,

Are you talking about Teflon tape on the threads? Anyone using locktite? I'm still in the debating/planning/talking myself into/out of phase about mounting a bar on the wall or ceiling, so any/all specific info about the details (as in, all of the above) is REALLY helpful!!:biggrinthumb:
Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
Travis Layman

Profile:
Travis,

In the picture you posted it looks like you put 2 short sections of larger diameter pipe on your bar. Am I correct? If so, what size?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
Travis Loest

Profile:
Ya, Teflon, that's the stuff. I was going to use locktite but I wanted to be able to take it apart when I move. not that you would have to use it on each joint. the two white pipes on my pull-up bar are 1.25 in pvc about 6 inches long. I figured a freely rotating, larger diameter bar would really suck so I just slipped some extra pieces of pvc I had onto the pull up bar. I can slide them out of the way when I don't use them. They really raise the suck level when you try to do kipping pull ups on them. I had the pvc from my set of paralletts that I made. And for anyone's reference, if you're heavy like me (245#) use the 1.5 in pvc. the 1.25 is just a little wobbly on me. It'll hold but doesn't promote confidence.