CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
Sam McCune

Profile:
I was browsing around Iron Woody yesterday and bumped into their Kettlegrip. For all who don't know, the Kettlegrip is simply a kettlebell handle which you can put your own plates on. You can load them up to 92 pounds and the handle is curved. It looks like they could be used correctly for cleans and snatches. Has anyone experienced them? I'm really looking to find the cheap way to train with kettlebells, and this may be it.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Jake Thompson

Profile:
They would work for swings. But so do dumbells and plates with handles for that matter.

Can't really comment on the other movements, just doesn't seem like racking the plate KB would feel right, also would be difficult to get 50+ lbs. on there? Have not used this is just my observation.
There are several cheaper (high quality) bells coming out, which should bring the prices down on KB's other than DD.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Paul Worman

Profile:
Sam if you look on the archive for January 22, 2007 I posted a similar product and got some good info on kettlebell handles and the ironwoody brand.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Sam McCune

Profile:
Sorry all for a redundant thread. I forgot to look up to see if this subject had been posted in the past.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Craig Uchimura

Profile:
Sam, I have both the Kettlegrips (for about 1 year) and just recently purchased one 35# KB from Iron Woody. The grips served us well at the station for doing swings. To us it feels different from swinging a DB.

We had the smaller Kgrip set at 35# and the larger one set at 55#. We don't do cleans or snatches but the 35# KB it is smaller than the Kgrip with the plates loaded on it and feels more sturdy to work with due to the thin side rails on the Kgrip. I think that it would be easier to clean the KB due to it's smaller size. The Kgrip tended to bend a little at the side rails even though we were careful about not dropping them. Also with the smaller Kgrip you have an allen head bolt on each end to tighten, with the larger Kgrip the bolt is only on one side and you constantly need to keep an eye on both to make sure they are not getting loose. Don't get me wrong it is a great product.

If you are going to be changing weights often, the Kgrips are definately the cost effective way to go. If you know what weights you will be using, the KB's may be better. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Bruce Kocher

Profile:
I'll second the 'good for swings' opinion. I have one handle loaded with 8x10# plates. Works great after filing the uncomfortable/blister inducing molding ridge off. Racking with the bell is not a big deal either, different than a spherical fixed kb and I get some decorative bruising on my upper arms and shoulders. Not better than a fixed kb to be sure but cheaper and workable especially if you have standard plates lying around.