CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
Chris Tan

Profile:
Does anybody have a Pistol programme / guide?

Hi guys,

I've been doing CrossFit for about 2.5 years and I've got most of the movements nailed. However, I can still only pistol with my right leg and I'm quite worried that it's going to come up in the open this year (plus I hate not being able to do stuff).

With pistols, mobility is usually the issue but I don't think that's my problem. With the right, I can go down fine and spring back up without holding my foot or the planted foot lifting etc. I can go down fine with my left, but I can't stand up from the bottom position, which suggests quad strength.

I weigh 82kg and can back squat 130kg, so it is quite likely that strength is an issue (I'm working on it). I had an ACL op 3 years back on my left knee that was reconstructed using the patellar tendon from my right knee. I'm not sure if that would be impacting on the strength of my left leg.

I would like to work on this, but I'm not really sure what drills to do. I've tried alternating using either a resistance band tied overhead or holding the rig but I'm not really getting anywhere and it feels far too easy on my right. I don't want to work disproportionately though, as there's already a big difference between the 2 legs.

Does anybody have any training programmes / guides / tips for something I can incorporate into my skills / accesory training?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: Does anybody have a Pistol programme / guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tan View Post
Hi guys,

I've been doing CrossFit for about 2.5 years and I've got most of the movements nailed. However, I can still only pistol with my right leg and I'm quite worried that it's going to come up in the open this year (plus I hate not being able to do stuff).

With pistols, mobility is usually the issue but I don't think that's my problem. With the right, I can go down fine and spring back up without holding my foot or the planted foot lifting etc. I can go down fine with my left, but I can't stand up from the bottom position, which suggests quad strength.

I weigh 82kg and can back squat 130kg, so it is quite likely that strength is an issue (I'm working on it). I had an ACL op 3 years back on my left knee that was reconstructed using the patellar tendon from my right knee. I'm not sure if that would be impacting on the strength of my left leg.

I would like to work on this, but I'm not really sure what drills to do. I've tried alternating using either a resistance band tied overhead or holding the rig but I'm not really getting anywhere and it feels far too easy on my right. I don't want to work disproportionately though, as there's already a big difference between the 2 legs.

Does anybody have any training programmes / guides / tips for something I can incorporate into my skills / accesory training?

Thanks
For what it's worth, a friend recommended this.....http://www.beastskills.com/one-legged-squat-the-pistol/ (WSF)

Michael
Old 11-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Does anybody have a Pistol programme / guide?

Doing the deck pistol that Jim shows or Single Leg Squat off elevated box are good ideas. I like the latter these days more than pistols anyways.

I'd try doing box pistols and seeing at what height/ROM you cannot pistol up on the left leg.