CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #11
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Snatching Around Shoulder Injuries

Depends on how it feels, all great advice above...

One thing I've done when my shoulder is yelling at me and I need to snatch. I will stay sub maximal and not catch it.

Do everything get under it but instead of catching it guide it back down to the floor in front of you. (Got that from Chinese lifters)
Old 09-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #12
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Joseph - I've been going through the same thing over the last few weeks. Shoulder injury playing havoc with my snatches. Here's what has worked for me:

1) Rest and rehab. I've tried foam rolling, resistance band stretches, moist heat, compression bands, lacrosse balls, ice packs, trigger release with a Theracane, Mobility WOD stuff, inversion, and just regular-old stretching and yoga. All of this stuff helps if used in the right place at the right time, but it is possible to make the problem worse by overdoing the therapy stuff. Rest is crucial for those tissues to regenerate.

2) Strengthen and restore range of motion. Once the pain goes away, you still have to combat weakness and restrictions. I recommend overhead squats, KB snatches, strict presses, and KB presses, keeping the load and volume moderate. If it hurts, stop and return to step 1. This is also the stage where the stretches, bands, and yoga help a lot. I have to move the joint, mash up tissues, and elongate muscles in order to get it to full ROM again.

3) Rebuild your snatch. Instead of jumping straight into heavy snatches near maximal loads, or high-volume snatch WODS, I'm rebuilding my snatch at lower weights and volumes. The muscles might be able to take it, but tendons and ligaments are slower to adapt to the load. This might have been part of the problem in the first place. So, go back down to the little plates and take your time with the snatch, making sure it feels perfect and painless before you take the weight up.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
Joseph Smyth

Profile:

Thanks again for the tips everyone. After a few weeks of starting to work on some of this stuff I tried full snatching for the first time yesterday. Definitely felt a little more stable, so I look forward to the day I will be able to dive under the bar without any hesitation.