CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Hello All;
I'm getting really serious about the olympic lifts as cross training for my goofy sport. I normally wear high top vans when I squat and deadlift. However, they just don't seem to work with cleans and snatchs. I'm having a hard time keeping my heels as flat as I'd like them. I tried a friends OL Lifting shoes (Brian Sider's actually, for those who know a little bit about PL'ing) and they felt really comfortable and had the wedged sole. I could go really deep into the hole and I believe they'd be better for doing snatches and full cleans.

What do you recommend?

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
If you are getting serious about lifting then i'd strongly recomend getting proper shoes. I was lifting in flat shoes and getting sore knees from pronation. Got the shoes and my form improved and i stopped getting pains.

Brian Siders! I hope your squat and deadlift are good cause you don't have any excuses with a friend like that
Old 05-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Karl Geissler

Profile:
While I agree that barefoot work does increase proceptive activation, I found that investing in an inexpensive pair of VS Athletics weightlifting boots made a huge difference. I felt it just put me into a proper foot, ankle, and lower leg alignment for power.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Thanks guys.

Don, Brian is a freak of nature. I'm awed by his strength. In the last month alone, He's squatted 900 for 3 with belt and knee wraps only; Benched 605 for 5, no shirt (singled 800 reallly easy with a single ply shirt), and deadlifted 675 for five sets of five (and it was easy). The guys strength is gastly.

On a good day, I could probably dead over 700 with straps on. I don't squat over 405 anymore, but I might do it for sets of 15. I've gotten away from powerlifter squats and focused on high rep squats, standing squats, full snatches, full cleans, deadlifts, pull ups, and other core movements. I've found that these types of movements help with my athletism. One step at a time I always say.

Once I get some money saved up, I'm gonna get me some goofy high top bowling shoes.

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
Marc Johnson

Profile:
It seems that the only thng special about these shoes is that they have a thick heel. Would you get the same effect lifting with your heels elevated on a board or something?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
Jason Erickson

Profile:
It's unsafe to stick a loose object under your feet when lifting. If it slips, you are S-O-L.:uhoh:

Lifting shoes with the thick heel effectively change the relative angles of the feet, ankles, knees, hips, and back to provide you with better leverage for lifting heavy. Just like you can jump more explosively off the balls of your feet (compared to flat footed), it's somewhat easier to lift heavy when your heels are elevated.

The down side is that you are no longer lifting within your natural ROM. Some people I know that used lifting shoes for a long time lost the ability to drop comfortably into a nice deep flat footed squat, let alone bear weight in the hole.

To me, it's not worth it. What's a few more pounds of metal vs full pain-free mobility? Everyone has to make that decision when choosing equipment and accessories.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I would have to agree with Jason as I couldn't imagine doing the jump on the snatch or the clean and trying to land on a board or an object. That would be dangerous. I'm gonna save up and get some of these darn things.

In regards to pain free mobility, I will only wear these things when I do the olympic lifts. I'll continue to sport my high top vans when I do squats and deads.

all the best,
Arden